Sunpak Ringlight Macro Flash with Pentax 67II

jack_malipan

I would be using it for Fashion and Portraits. I have the Pentax 67II, and am trying to find something that will give me reliable TTL. I am currently using fluorescent lighting with magenta gels, but it's a hassle with the generator and the weight. Ring flash looks like a great option for punchy modern light.

Profoto makes a nice ringlight for fashion, its huge, no ttl, and pack only powered; it will also really zonk someone not used to being in front a ring light. First time it was fired at me it threw me a bit. It's a strange experience being in front of one, unless you are a model and really used to the lights.

Most TTL ringlights are macro ringlights and they don't have the pop to light a model to any real extent. YOu are better off cheating by hooking up an array of softboxes and simulating a ring light setup. You can accomplish the array by having 4 large equal size softboxes on the left and right of the camera position and then having another 2 above and below the camera position. This will give you 99% of the effect of a ringlight other than the circular highlight in the eyes.

Looks like this

..........SUBJECT.........

|

..........LIGHT...........

Light.....Camera.....Light

..........Light...........

You WON'T be using it for fashion. I have it (and the Pentax 67) and this flash is useless when the subject is more than 1 meter (3 feet) away. It has a GN 12, for god's sake, you can do a nice portrait, but that's it. There's also NO module for the new 67II available. I suggest Hensel 120p Porty and ringlight (1200 J) or Broncolor/Profoto (they are basically the same model) ringflash, which is a REAL one. You won't regret it. All I got from DX12R were red eyes in full length shots. And a couple of grey hair. Switched to Porty and it's just like comparing Yugo to a Chrysler. Trust me, forget the DX12R for fashion and spare yourself the trouble.

ALEX B, thank you very much for your serious warning. That's whats great about this community. Good Karma from passionate photographers sharing information and support for others. I was just about to confirm the order! I'll research into your suggestions and make a better choice. Thanks again,

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...