Good Bokeh & Bad Bokeh from 35 F/2 asph

kamol_.

I am a new Leica user,

I have one M7 and only one summicron 35F/2 ASPH

I like to take good Bokeh on my film or picture

But I don't know.............HOW IS GOOD BOKEH

HOW IS BAD, HOW BETTER, HOW EXCELLENT BOKEH???

Who have Sample of BOKEH Picture

from summicron 35f/2 pre-asph or 35 F/2 asph

Pleae post for looking, and Please teach me

How to take Best Bokeh ??? I will Learn to improve my performance

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for Every Kindness,

Again, Again, Again Pardon for Always poor English ;-)

this is Albert Smith's Picture, 4th version 35 F/2

I like the circle, it look like donut

this call GOOD BOKEH ot not ????..................

I will wait for answer..........

and How to get GOOD BOKEH ???

such as How of Lighting, compose, and How of Aperture........etc.

Best Regard................;-)<div>006ROT-15180484.jpg.aaeb932727d319fb42f7c4bc1e9f9dc0.jpg</div>

Everything I've read about bokeh says that it should be a smooth transition, not abrupt and harsh. Donut shaped hi-lights are very harsh. They should be brightest in the center and darken towards the edges. The first version (8 element) and second version had the smoothest bokeh compared to the more recent 35/2 Summicrons. The 40/2 Summicron-C is pretty nice too. Those examples from the aspheric are really disapointing. It may be sharp and contrasty as hell but the bokeh stinks!

You can not "improve" bokeh. It is a characteristic inherent to each and every lens. The only thing you can do to "change" bokeh is to stop your lens down as far as it will go, increasing the DOF of the photo, and thus minimizing the out of focus areas of the photo.

I'm with the others who suggest that you not fall into this trap of bokeh. I, personally have never even taken notice of bokeh in a photo (good or bad) unless someone points it out to me. And more so, I have never thought to myself "Wow, this photo could be in a museum... if it weren't for that aweful bokeh!"

Dont worry about it.

The idea, as I see it, is that a lens with good bokeh has background blur that stays in the background - i.e. does not come forward to distract from the main information in the picture. In this way, what is in front sticks out from the back ground -adding to a three-dimensional feel to the image. The 75 summilux has excellent oof in this regard. My nikkor 35-70 2.8 afd lens had such bad ("nisen" or cross-eyed) bokeh that it actually spoilt pictures. In truth, none of them were headed for the museum anyway.

Under different conditions, even the same lens can have good or bad bokeh. In my experience, the type of background (e.g. tree branches, highlights in foliage, wire fences are difficult to deal with), the location of the OOF highlight in the frame, how far away and how bright and big they are, the focused distance, the aperture used... all of these contribute to the resulting bokeh.

Generally, if a lens has under-corrected spherical aberration (SA), the background bokeh is better/smoother than foreground.

Over-corrected SA (like so many Nikkors) results in a smooth foreground and harsh background.

Also see http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005tik

To understand what bokeh looks like review August Saunders pre-WWII large format images of the German people. The smooth OOF backgrounds when combined with sharp edges seems to make the image stand out from the page. Yes, he shot large format but you can achieve the same look from rollfilm or small format if the lens is not so highly corrected. The 1970s Minolta MC 58mm f/1.2 or Rollei TLR Planar f/2.8 are good examples. Most images folks post on this forum do not adequately demonstate peanut butter smooth bokeh.

As far as I am concerned Bokeh refers to the out of focus areas in a picture. I strongly believe that good and bad is highly subjective and one should use ones own standards and completely ignore any other ideas. To give you an example the out of focus donuts seen in Mirror lenses are considered bad Bokeh by many. I like the donuts and to me it's good Bokeh.

Subjective or not, the conventional understanding of good vs. bad bokeh seems to be whether there are bright and relatively distinct edges that stand out in the blurred background.

FWIW, I've noticed on the longer tessar type lenses, the backgrounds have a nice smooth blurring. Too bad tessars can't give the Summicron style wide open performance. Are the Elmars based on a Tessar design?<div>006Rsw-15194084.jpg.e52c963415cfc0bbcbab5ba541af3cae.jpg</div>