Anybody remember Werner Bischofshofen?

lesged

I started using Leicas in Copenhagen in 1955. The last ones I owned

were a mixture of Leica CL and Minolta CLE bodies and lenses. I'm

ashamed to say I don't have any Leica equipment at the moment, but

feel this forum can help me find some information about the late,

great, Leica photographer, Werner Bischofshofen. I couldn't find any

information about him using Google's search engine.

My questions are: Was he German, Austrian or Swiss? When and where

did he die? The last spread of his photos I can think of were taken

in and around a Buddhist monastary in Asia and published in LIFE.

His name doesn't come up as a staff photographers for Life or

Magnum.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Les

Thank you all! I mixed up Werner's correct last name with an Austrian friend who had the longer version. So glad Werner Bischof hasn't been forgotten. I enjoyed his work so much. BTW, my first Leica was a Leica IIf red-dial with a Leitz factory refurbished f2 50mm Sunmmitar. The flesh tones of that lens were lovely. Most of photos on my website www.lesgediman.com were taken with that body and lens in the late 1950s. Nowadays, my eyesight wouldn't allow me to use the rangefinder of the screw mounted bodies-- except the IIIG, if that was still screw mounted. In 1955, when you bought a new Leica, you got the Leica magazine for life. Oh those were the days.....

Les

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/TreePf_MAG.aspx?E=29YL53IQYHK

Werner Bischof

Swiss, 1916 - 1954

Werner Bischof studied photography with Hans Finsler in his native Zürich at the School for Arts and Crafts (1932 -1936), then opened a photography and advertising studio which he ran until his military service in 1939. As of 1942, he was a freelancer for Du magazine, and got international recognition after publication of his 1945 reportage on war's devastation.

In the following years Bischof travelled in Italy and Greece for the Schweizer Spende. In 1948 he photographed the winter Olympics in St. Moritz for Life magazine. After trips to Eastern Europe, Finland, Sweden and Denmark, he received a contract from Picture Post and the Observer and was the first new photographer to join the original Magnum founders in 1949.

Disliking the "superficiality and sensationalism" of the magazine business he devoted much of his working life to looking for order and tranquility in traditional culture, something which didn't endear him to picture editors looking for hot topical material. Nonetheless, he found himself sent to report on famine in India by Life (1951). Later on he worked in Japan, Korea, Hong Kong and Indochina, and the pictures from these reportages were used in major picture magazines throughout the world.

In 1954 he traveled to Mexico and Panama for Life, and then his search for authenticity took him to a remote part of Peru to make a film. Unfortunately, his jeep accidentally went over a cliff in the Andes on May 16th, 1954, and he died only nine days before Magnum founder Robert Capa perished in Indochina.