over the 6x4.5. I'm currently looking at the Bronica SQ and the

Hasselblad 503CW. (Please don't offer advice about the Mamiya RZ II

series. I have an extensive kit of that already. Its just too bloody

big and heavy to carry abroad or hillwalking. And I'm not interested

in rangefinders. Good though the Mamiya 7 is). Having searched

through the archives here I've come across a lot of people having

problems with their Hasselblads. My question therefore is, is the

Hasselblad really as unreliable as it's made out to be or is it just

a vocal minority venting about their problems.

Regards.

Yes, vocal minority is a perfect way of putting it. Hasselblads are workhorse cameras, they are durable and reliable. There are few things that can go wrong even due to user error. Also most of the people complaining are those who bought into used systems which have been around as far back as 1957, after 20- 30 years of hard use, the second, third, fourth and sometimes fifth user inherits the age problems most of them easily repairable.

There are only two problems which are constantly moaned about: lens jamming on the camera, and light leaks (technically, a back problem not a body problem).

The lens jamming is a result of ham-fisted pilot error, pure and simple. In 30 years of using Blads I've never had one jam. This can happen if you accidentally spring the shutter release catch on the back of the lens as you are dismounting it. It's easy to do if you are using an extension tube or a teleconverter, but with just a lens it's almost impossible. The other way is to mount a lens with the shutter un-cocked. This can happen to someone who stores the lenses uncocked and forgets to recock them before use; however you really need to muscle the lens to get it to lock on the body, and if you go ahead and force it you get what you deserve.

The light-leak problem is caused by the fact that the light-seal that keeps light from leaking into the dark-slide slot is comprised of a piece of foam sandwiched in a folded piece of mylar. When the foam loses its springiness and becomes gummy from age, it can no longer keep the mylar fold expanded to block light entry. Some people advocate storing the backs with the dark slides removed so as to not leave the foam compressed for long periods. That may have some good effect but in the long run the foam will still deteriorate. THe good news is, this is a cheap fix and if you're not a total klutz you can DIY.

Other problems and breakdowns associated with Hasselblads are really par for the course for any camera subjected to hard professional use. Many Hasselblads still in use date back to the late 1950's, which is both a testament to their durability as well as a caveat to purchasers to not expect a 20,30, or 40-something camera to necessarily function flawlessly before a rountine CLA is performed.

I have not had a single malfunction with Hasselblad equipment, other than a shutter mainspring in a 1963-vintage lens a few years back. I have since upgraded to more modern lenses and bodies, and find them no less well-made than their predecessors...something hard to say about very many cameras.

Trust me, Hasselblads are durable. At the photography school I attended the Hasselblad (mix of 500cm, 501c, 501cm and even a couple old 500c's) was the standard camera outfit that students used. They had a fleet of about 50 cameras all set up with 80mm lenses, A12 backs, bellows lens shades and PM45 finders. Trust me, new students who've never shot anything nicer then a low end Nikon or Canon, if that, are hard on cameras that arn't theirs. All these cameras were very reliable. It would be a lie to say there were never problems, but they were pretty rare considering the number of cameras that went home with students every night and weekend. There was also at least one of every current Hassey lens ( with the exception of one of the huge tele's I think) and they too were incredibly reliable.

Remember there are a lot of Hasselblads, and so there are a lot of people with 'problems'. They are correlated!

It seems most of those listed are the quirky jamming issues or ones that are easily repaired, like light leaks or lubrication.

They are reliable and serviceable. I have just had a 1971 body serviced and it is (mechanically at least) good now.

I would agree with all thats been said. Its a tough system, but if you use them

a lot, they do need some maintaince. I think they are a terrfic choice for a used

system, stick with the CF lenses IMHO as there has been a lot said about

some of the parts for the older C lenses not being out there much longer.

I have mags that are 2o years olf and still work great.

As with any camera system you will get a wide range of replies to questions regarding reliability. Hasselblads offer a rich emotional experience for many people. So what I offer here is based upon direct personal experience, observation, and discussions.

<p>

I have heard, as a broad generalization, three kinds of replies:

<p>

<ul>

1) <i>Hasselblads work great.</i> Never had one break. Reliable as trucks. Use 'um. I have several friends who own and use Hasselblads on a regular basis that prove this point.

<p>

2) <i>Pack a pair and a spare.</i> You'll have one piece of equipment at the repair shop and the other on it's way. This group appears to flog their equipment fairly hard and realizes that it might require repair from time to time. I've had several wedding photographers come up to me at local photoswaps and show me 'blad gear they want to sell. It typically looks worn, but they'll say, almost without fail, "... but this body has never been in the shop, it's much more reliable than my other two bodies..." So why then do they want to sell it is my usual question. I usually am told they are "going digital". Go figure.

<p>

3) <i>Hasselblads are unrealiable</i>. When the camera broke, it was quickly sold. Couldn't stand the idea of it breaking again. At the photo shops I visit (Suburban Photo, ProPhoto Supply, Citzens), this is surprisingly common story. I'm a little surprised by the number of people who say they owned a 'blad for several years, found it unreliable, and bought a Mamiya 7 or RZ instead. I realize this is unscientific, but this is what I have heard from perhaps 4 or 6 working photographers in my local area.

</ul>

<p>

One of my friends who swears by Hasselblad bought a new 120CFi Makro, took it home, and found that it locked up on his 503CW camera body. So he took the lens and body back to the shop. They tried the offending lens on other bodies and found no problem. They tried other Makro lenses on my friend's body and found no problem. So there was "something" about just that one lens that made his system lock up.

<p>

Some people can live with this kind of quirkiness. Others appear to never experience it. And still others fail to understand how such a thing could ever happen in the first place and will buy something else.

Hasselblad unreliable???? You must be joking...

Sorry if that is heresy to the Hasselblad owners club but this is the first time in my life that I've ever contemplated buying one. I know virtually nothing about them. Only their somewhat unqualified word of mouth reputation for being the best. I don't even know someone who owns one.

Anyways, I've arranged for a weekend hire this week to try it out so I guess I'll find out, ergonomically speaking, if its really for me or not.

Thanks for all the responses.

Regards...

Steven,<br><br>When hiring a Hasselblad, using one for the first time, be sure to ask for a full explanation of, and instruction in, how to operate this camera.<br>There a few (only a few) things that you need to be told, preferably demonstrated, that may be hard to figure out by yourself. Would be no fun spending all your time with the camera figuring out how to make it work.