If your end goal is to produce a high quality 8" X 10" print I

believe it is possible to get excellent results by cropping an image

produced by a high quality fixed focal length lens such as the 50mm

Summicron or 105mm Nikkor lens up to 50 percent. Since Leica M 28-35-

50 is inherently not as sharp as it's fixed focal length counterparts

(from what I've read - no personal experience) it seems one could get

similar results by just using the 28mm Ashp. and cropping to produce

the 35mm and 50mm look. Plus, you gain speed, save weight, and save

about $2000.00. Would anyone care to comment?

the best "zoom" lens from leica has always been your elbows and legs. move a bit and get closer to your subject. do the full frame thing - always. if you are looking for a cropping solution, then you should be getting a SLR with a zoom lens.

It depends on the film/develooper combo and the lens. You'll be magnifying any unsharpness in the lens by 50% which probably won't matter much with a higher speed grainier film. You'll also be magnifying the film's grain by 50%. With 400 speed film the grain might start to become very noticeable, and with a developer like Rodinal it will likely start to look extremely grainy. You'll hardly end up with a "high quality 8x10 print".

my favorite zoom is a well worn pair of black chuck taylors. in the time it takes to fiddle around with a zoom lens, i can just as easily take two steps forward or back. if i anticipate really needing a zoom - like at a tightly packed concert or demonstration - i bring an slr with a zoom lens on it. the cost of the extra camera is nowhere near what i would be wasting on all that unnecessary cropping. besides, getting it right in the camera is half the fun. when you see your framed 16x20 being carried away by the person who just gave you the wad of cash in your hand, you'll be really glad you didn't crop it to death.

Reminds me of a great story that I forget the details of. This German photographer was doing some amazing work in Africa with his 50mm and one filter. Leica wanted him to try their new telephoto but he replied that he already had a 'two-foot' telephoto. When Leica sent a rep there to see this interesting lens the photographer pointed to his own two feet and said 'this is my two-foot telephoto lens'. Something like that.

Does anyone know where to find the specific details? I'd love to know who this photographer was.

I don't know if I would go so far as to crop 50%. You'd have to have a lot of things going for you to be sure--like using a tripod or high shutter speed at least, a middle aperture, good quality light, etc.

Many pictures will be improved by a little judicious cropping, especially the quickly composed pictures that rangefinder users are noted to like. Still, cropping a 50mm picture to a 100mm view is a lot.

plus, if you reduce the film size by 50%, you will need to enlarge 4 times bigger in order to obtain the same size print (or will you?). That will translate into 400% larger grain size.

More importantly, the perspective of the scene will be completely changed then. telephoto lens is great only if you want that perspective. For most street shots, you probably want to get closer and more personal to your subject anyway. Your feet are the only zoom that can serve that purpose.

Let me try to understand the math. Let's say that our subject is a rectangle, its height is "x" and its width is "y". To duplicate the rectangle, as I guess it would happen by changing the focal lenght from 50mm to 100mm, means to get another rectangle with its height equal to "2.x" and its width equal to "2.y", but this implies that the new rectangle's surface is 4 times the old rectangle's surface, i.e., 2.x.2.y=4x.y, which implies a 4 times enlargement. Am I right?