Hello,

I´m having trouble getting sharply focused portraits with my Hass

500elm and 100mm Planar. I have experience using a wlf with a

rollei tlr, and was wondering if it could be something wrong with

the camera. Does the 500elm have the mirror damping rubbers that

might affect focusing as they compress over time? Can someone offer

other solutions? Thanks,

GB

The foam between the mirror and its frame could be deteriorated, in this case the mirror position is changed and you don't have accurate focussing. You can easily verify if this is the case: turn the camera upside-down and tilt it, you should see (and hear) the mirror moving into its frame. At least this has been my experience.

GB-

There are some tests you can run that can determine what the heck is going on with

your camera. In a perfect world this can be determined in a few seconds by your

repairman but the world isn't perfect so here goes.

Put your camera and lens on a tripod and set the lens to it's infinity stop. Look at

something at infinity. I don't mean kinda far away. I mean miles. If everything looks in

focus, take a picture with a cable release with the mirror locked up. If the film comes

back out of focus you can rest assured that the most probable cause is lens is at fault.

If you mount your camera on the tripod and it doesn't look in focus you have three

options. Either the lens is out of adjustment or the screen is out of adjustment or your

eye needs some diopter adjustment. Some might say the mirror may be out but my

experience tells me it isn't LIKELY. Some have stated, and you alluded to it, that foam

or rubber may be at fault. This isn't so. The mirror stop in the EL is hard metal. No

getting around that. The foam that deteriorates is the damping foam around the

screen and it has no effect on focus.

You should take this to a shop and have them look at the focus at the film plane with

this lens. They will then check the screen and mirror angle. There is no way you can

do this. It should be free and only takes seconds with the proper equipment. You

should also check to make sure the screen isn't installed upside down. It happens. It

should be glass side up. My bet is on the lens.

Good luck-

Peter Rosenthal - PR Camera Repair, Flagstaff, AZ

I have the same problem with an EL/M using a 100mm Planar (and any other lens, for that matter). Focus was off with the EL/M, but the same lens used on my 503CW and other Hasselblads is spot on. Therefore, it is the camera. I am fortunate in that I live in Denver and have an authorized Hassy repair facility here so they are checking it out now. If I get some meaningful information about the specifics of the problem I will post again.

Thank you all very much for your answers. I will discount eye problems and diopters, as my eyesight is good. The landscape shots I´ve taken have been sharp enough, though I usually focus hyperfocally, not on infinity. I´ll try that. I also thought the mirror rests only on those metal brackets, but thought maybe the underside was bordered by foam similar to the way the underside of the screen is for damping. Unfortunately, there are no real hass repair people in my country, so for now at least I have to diagnose it myself.

Another test is to get the ground glass back, use a tripod, focus on on line chart at 10 feet. Check the focus at the focusing screen with that of the ground glass back. They should be the same. If they are different you have a problem.

Now check infinity focus the same way out side. Both should be the same.

If infinity focus is off for both screens, and 10 feet focus is OK then the problem is the lens.

If both tests show a difference between screens, then the problem is the body.

Sounds like you need to send the camera and lens in to be serviced.

Do both checks with the lens wide open.