I bought a used Cds meter prism for my 1000s at a photo swap. It read

3-4 f/stops off (had to set ASA to about 1000 to get f/16 at 1/125

under 'sunny 16' conditions), so I had the seller send it out to his

repairman to calibrate it. It came back a little better, maybe 2.5-3

stops off. Now I'm wondering if there is something in the body that

is losing the light. Are there wrong focusing screens? Missing

fresnel lens? Any other ideas?

Thanks, Greg

I believe it is a stock MS screen. It has the diagonal split in the middle with the micro-prism around that. It seems like an after-market fresnel screen brightner would make the meter read overexposed, not under?

I have tried making readings by just scanning around at mid-day to get an average reading, and taking readings off of a gray card. The readings vary 1/2 stop or so, but it is -1.5 to -2.5 stops. This still isn't real scientific, but I don't see how I could be that far off either.

Maybe this is just all the closer the repair shop could get it, but that just doesn't sound right. I checked that I'm not in M mode on the lens, or that the lens is for some other reason stopping down. I have used 4 different lenses. I always check that they are engaged with the meter pin. I wish I had another body to compare with...

Thanks for the help - any other ideas?

-Greg

>>It seems like an after-market fresnel screen brightner would make the meter read overexposed, not under?<<

Maybe I am wrong, but here is my thinking... A brighter screen let more light through, thus making the camera meter think the scene is more brightly lit than it really is, therefore it recommends that you use a faster shutter speed/smaller aperture which would result in under exposure. I couldn't tell from your original post what "2.5-3 stops off" meant (under/over?).

I would take it back to the repairman, demonstrate the issue as you see it and ask for an explanation. They should be using a calibrated testing method. I have used your method as a rough guess but it sure leaves a lot of room for variation.

You might go to a local camera dealer and see if you can find a unit to use for comparison. Additionally, they might have another focusing screen which you could swap out for a minute to do a comparison test.

Just my thoughts...