What lens for indoor work?

lee_fernandes

I'm not sure I'd want to do portraits with a 35mm lens.

Play around with your 24-85, set it to 50mm to if 50mm would be OK.

Save yourself some money, the 50 f/1.8 is a darn good lens for a fraction of the 1.4 and there isn't much diiference in depth of field.

Don't save yourself the money by getting the 1.8, Do get the 50mm 1.4! Great lens. Worth the extra money for higher quality background blurr, not just the extra portion of a stop, the blurr is smoother, there is a name for that bokuhh or something like that. A 35 won't be as flattering as the 50, but since you're digital either would be ok, most people prefer to have as much of a 'telephoto' look as possible though, so go with the longest lens you can for your environments.

Josh

What are you shooting? For fully body shot, 35 is probably OK, but will definitely give you weird perspective for torso shots. 24-85 is a good range for portrait shots: 24 is wide enough to have full boxy shots, and 85 is long enough for tight face shots. If you have curtain available, you should be able to shoot with it at f/8 as background blurring is not needed.

35/1.4 is not going to blur the background: its hyperfocal distance is only a few feets. 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 are pretty close in terms of sharpness, but 50/1.8 has really ugly bokeh. For your application, a 24-70/2.8 (or 28-70/2.8) is probably the best, although a little more expensive.

What are you taking pictures of? Typically, the 35 would not be considered a standard portrait lens although every rule is made to be broken -- I just wouldn't want to all the time. I typically use either the 50 f/1.4 or 85 f/1.8. Both of these are good lenses for available light and neither is too expensive.