Want a cheap film body...what to get?

tom_w.1

I'm looking to get a cheap second-hand EOS film body as a backup to

my 10D. I also want the film camera for taking ultra-wide angle

shots (< 20mm) and to use in situations when I don't feel safe

bringing my expensive gear with me. My budget is $150, really don't

want to spend more than that. So what are some good choices?

I've considered these cameras but have some concerns about each of

them:

EOS-5 ~ $300-350 (too expensive, unless it's really worth it)

EOS-100/Elan ~$150(Really hard to find, no E-TTL: a big concern?)

EOS-50/Elan II/Elan IIe ~$200/250 for IIe (Slightly over my budget,

but will buy if it's really worth it, thoughts?)

EOS-10 ~$???(also very hard to find, no 2nd dial on the back)

EOS-300/Rebel 2000 ~$120(Plastic mount, can it handle big L lenses?

no 2nd dial on the back)

EOS-500/Rebel G ~$100(same concerns as Rebel 2000)

Rebel X ~$80 (same as Rebel G, no internal flash)

EOS-620/630/6xx ~$??? (Don't know anything about these cameras, are

they any good?)

Anything else I should consider?

Again, I'm only going to shoot film maybe 5% of the time. So if you

were in my situation with my targeted budget, what would you get?

Appreciate any and all inputs.

I would recommend an Elan II/IIe. Before I went back to Canon FD, I had a Canon EOS system based around an Elan 2 and was very happy with it. It does exactly what I want it to do, with a better viewfinder than the Elan 7 (imho). I only went back to my FD system because I could get more lenses for a given budget and I prefer shooting manually for most functions. The prices you are looking at are a bit high for the first 3. The Eos 5 I have seen go for 250, the Elan 1 for 100-125, and the Elan 2 for average 125-150. Check the "auction site" or the photo.net classifieds.

Weight is a major issue. I got a 10D thinking that I'll keep my

elan 7e as backup. Now I'm selling the elan because there's no

way I'll carry those 2 bodies around.

I'd pick a rebel G. If you need a DOF preview for wide angle, get

the rebel 2000. I think it also have a better meter (more than 6

points). Both of them have internal flash. You'll have to carry the

combo by the lens if it's heavy.

Any of the small bodies from the 500(Xs) onwards are really great value.They have proper autofocus abilities(compared to older model rebels) and are small and light.Don't worry about the plastic mount as you'll want to carry a camera/large lens combo by the lens anyway.The rebel 2000 may be the best of these because of it's better electronics,allthough it has several weird habits were the flash assists for some situations.Forget the 620/650/630 !!They have ANCIENT autofocus so are only usefull as a second body.The 100 and 10 may not be much better.Allthough i have an eos5 i would heartily recommend the 50/50e if you want a bunch of features over the basic rebels-the 5 doesen't have any usefull features (for me)that makes it any better than the 50 + the 50 has the great 'knobs and levers' instead of the modern cameras acursed buttons!

"Forget the 620/650/630 !!They have ANCIENT autofocus so are only usefull as a second body.The 100 and 10 may not be much better."

Yeah, 600 series AF sucks--nearly unusable. However, the Elan and 10S are pretty good, especially the 3-sensor 10S. Both have center cross AF sensors that aren't far behind mid-priced EOS cams such as the Elan 7 or Rebel 2000. In fact, for low light, both are better than most modern cameras due to the near IR AF assist.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Tom,<p>Please, whatever you do, save a few more dollars over the next month(s) or so and get an EOS5/A2-A2e!<br> I've owned an A2 for years and with its VG-10 vertical grip mounted, the A2 simply outdoes most <i>modern</i>, non-Canon auto-focus cameras. I mean it flat-out outperforms (speed-wise) all the Canons and Nikons (<i>except the boosted robo-camera breeds</i>).<p>The EOS 5/A2 have: 1/8000th shutters, 1/200 flash sync, PC connection, 2 & 10 second mirror lock-up, vertical and horizontal release, built-in flash, second curtain sync, auro-bracketing, 5fpm in Sports mode (without a booster!)<br> <i>That's faster than every other <i>unboosted</i> EOS/Nikon ever made!</i> It has 16 zone evaluative and true (3.5 degree) spot metering! Then there are its 16 custom functions, interchangeable focusing screens and built-in dipoter adjustment (A2 and A2E).<p>I'll even commit the ultimate blasphemy: your "modern" (post-9/11) 10D actually only has a <i>few</i> more features than the ancient, <i>1992</i> architechture of my A2. Another blasphemy: My A2 is as much a a "pro" camera as my Canon EOS 1n.<br>The A2 will drive any EOS lens ever made, including old and new USMs and any EOS IS USMs. The A2 will even make shots your 10D will miss.<P>As for your "shooting film only 5% of the time." The A2 will beg to be shot, especially in low light, especially since it has a powerful (for built-in flashes that is), pop-up flash, itself using A-TTL, FEC, second curtain sync and red-eye reduction. The A2/5 shoots the hell out of the EOS 430EZ A-TTL flash, a fast-handling combination I use as backup to my "Robocamera" EOS 1n.<p>Lastly, which body do I take out the door all the time for my "...just in case I see a shot" body? Sure as hell ain't the 1n.<p> Without the VG-10 attached, a body-capped A2 lays rather lightly in a camera bag.<p>Go ahead, find an A2, fondle...err..., <i>"feel"</i> an A2 and how it lays in the hand like a litlle 10D. Once you've fondled-felt one in your hands, caressed than big, responsive Quick Control dial under your thumb, you'll fall in love with the A2.<br> I know when you've felt an A2 and its comfortable and most familiar layout, you'd never sully your bag with an Elan (or any other SLR).

I second suda on choosing an EOS 5 to use as your back-up.

It may be a little bit more expensive that what you are prepared to spend, but it is solidly built with fantastic ergonomic design, has all the features you'd ever need and is a more than capable camera despite the older technology - or should I say "tried, tested and proven" technology.

I use my 5 mainly for motorsports (I am a freelance) and before digital really took off, about 60% of the pros using Canon at the circuits were using EOS 5's. Nuff said, really...

I also use my 5 with the 430EZ speedlight and it is a cracking combination. Mostly second curtain synch for interesting effects on track, but also for fill flash etc. Add the 100-400L IS to that and that's my everyday rig.

If I want to travel light, I fit a 28-105 and leave the rest behind as that's likely to be more than what I need. And this is light enough to shoot one-handed if the situation warrants it.

A body that started out being cheap will still always be a cheap body and you will find that not having certain features will have you climbing up the walls...

Get an EOS 5 - you honestly won't regret it.

All good suggestions but watch out for a used A2 or 5 as the command dial is notorious for failing. There are legions of complaints about this. Otherwise it's an excellent camera, though maybe out of your budget range.

Personally I'd go for an Elan II, though in the interests for full disclosure I have to say that I have one for sale if you're interested!

I'd avoid the Rebel series as being a little too basic and the 6xx series as being a little too old (poor ergonomics, single AF point, older generation of AF technology). They are superbly well built, but just a little dated.

I also have an Elan for sale if you decide you want to save a little cash. An excellent camera, not quite as meany features as the Elan II but still good if you don't mind a single AF point and no E-TTL.

The 10s was also a very good camera and had features (built in intervalometer) that no other EOS has ever had, but the lack of the rear control dial is a mark against it. It also lacks E-TTL.

Watch out for shutter problems with old cameras. Early Canon shutters (6xx series for sure, maybe 10s) are known to develop problems where they get "gunk" on the blades due to degradation of some internal rubber components. Eventually this leads to sticking.

Contact me if you decide to go for an Elan or Elan II!

Tom,

I have been extremely happy with Elan II. Bit heavier than Rebel but lots of features that are nicely laid down on the body. You may want to get BP-50, which provides you with a vertical shutter plus other benefits.

I would suggest an Elan 7, new or used. New they are around $340 (over you budget I know) used they should cost under $300. The 7 is more compact than either the Elan II or the A2/5 and is a fairly good match feature wise with the 10D (I own both camera bodies).

Thanks all for your suggestions and insights. Of course now I'm more confused than ever, hehe. In the past 12 hours, I went back and forth between EOS 5, Elan, ELan II, and Elan 7. I like the Rebels for their weight (and their names ;) but the lack of a second dial on the back turns me off. I'm too used to having it. After reading a few of the post, I'm really starting to lust for the EOS 5, but upon further consideration, I think it's better I save the money to get the 70-200/2.8 IS that I really want. So I guess I'll settle for a Elan or Elan II. Thanks all.

• 2 months later...

Considering how infrequently you plan on using this camera, why don't you pick up a Rebel G II. They cost next to nothing and then you don't have to worry about spending a ton of money on something that will rarely get used. I've attached a 75-300IS to mine with no problems or stress on the lens mount.

The only thing that is a drag about this camera is that it is made of plastic, which is a big photo.net no-no.