Making someone photogenic

billmoss

Is this possible? What's the best way to achieve an

attractive/flattering photograph? I ask this as a photographer and as

someone who wants to look good in photos. A photographer I know

mentioned direct lighting which 'fills' the face preventing certain

shadows, as well as making the subject feel comfortable. Aside from

being naturally photogenic, does anyone have any tips for looking

better in photos, and for making people look better in photos?

I'm not a portrait photographer- but one thing I have noticed is that some people can look perfectly natural in front of a camera, while others are always self-conscious, and tend to have an unnatural smile. With the self-conscious people, you may get better photos of them when they aren't aware you're even taking a photo. Not much help in a studio situation, but can help with photos of the kids and spouse, etc. The best pictures I ever took of my dad and my stepson fell into that category.

I don't know how you get it across to the subject, but when a person gets wrinkled enough or is ugly enough, they become interesting from that standpoint, even though not photogenic from a beauty standpoint.

I have been giving this a lot of thought. I do not have a lot of experience with

portrait, well, none, but I am pretty adapt and I have been told I have a good

eye.

At some point this week I will be shooting my first formal portrait, and I most

certainly do not intend to use cheesy mist filters that makes everything look

like it's from a glamour magazine from the 1980's.

They got a little carried away. But it might work if your model has big hair and

a pokadotted blouse!

From what i gathered from other photographers, looking at magazines and my

own personal logic, again, basicly no personal experience, is that the pose is

very important. I have noticed that unatractive poses yeild unatractive images

and often look shoddy, unnatural and uncomfortable. the last thing you want

is your model to appear constipated.

I would suggest using form as your function to bring out the best in someone.

Every body has it's attractive points, use the body to bring out his/her own

beauty. Be creative and original and use as little props as possible.

Posses certainly do not need be natural, but they should more than "look at

the birdy and smile" that isn't what you are being paid for, and anyone can do

that. Use your creativity and everything you know about composition.

And ofcourse, use a film designed for portraits, for soft skin use soft lighting,

for strong and muscular bodies, hilight this with more contrasted light. Do not

attempt to change anything about the model, especially the skin tone, I cannot

stand the endless tanned skin! It always looks so fake.

Ofcourse, this is comming from the perspective of someone interested in

fashion photography (among other things) and might very well be different for

senior pictures and general portraits. But i think using composition and

creativity to pose your models is always a good plan. But please don't pay

attention to me! This is all just observation.

It's very simple. It comes down to a) good makeup for photography, b) lighting that works well (there is no one answer here and it depends on whether you want natural or artificial), and c) taking advantage of physical characteristics, such as not shooting someone with a flat nose from the side.

I find the soft filter approach mentioned above makes people soft rather than photogenic. I find it unattractive.

Photoshop is generally used for high-end work.

This will sound horrible, but I've noticed that a little to drink often softens the nerves a little <sic>. The subject's relaxation is attributed to the fact that they're not as aware of the camera or photographer anymore. It's not exactly the most professional method, but fully acceptable for good humoured friends.

I do recommend, however that you limit the heavy drinking (for both parties) until AFTER the session ;)

Another thing I often do to break the tention, is to ask them to Jump. Taking after Philippe Halsman's Jumpology, I find the jump photo a really good way to get things going.

I don't believe in too much technique persay as I find portraiture a matter of relationship and communication. Sit, talk with them a while. Use a less conspicuous lens. Pre-frame/focus, etc and use a cable release to trip the shutter while talking and establishing eye contact with them.

Just some thoughs.

Makeup is the best filter -- a little powder goes a long way. Cuts down on odd reflections and blown highlights on the nose, forehead,etc.

Women are usually too heavily madeup for "formal" portraits, less is more. Get them to do it over, from scratch, if possible. Soft lipstick, or just lipgloss is fine. Half the eyemakeup and mascara they usually use-- invisible "blusher" - blended...no hard lines!

The hair can make or break a picture. Soft, clean hair looks like hell in a photo,. You will need to run some handcream/hairoil through it,. Just a bit, don't overdo it---if the person has fine flyaway hair, very little is needed.

Your subject will feel flattered that you are showing an interest. Pay them a compliment and get their reaction on film.

They will look much better in the photo.

It takes me one frame to shoot a portrait

good enough to publish in a magazine,

of a complete stranger I have never seen

before in my life.

`Hanging out together somewhere comfortable`

as Jim suggests is not

always an option under professional circumstances.

The use of makeup and hairstyling is quite usual, on the other

hand.

I don`t manipulate my images

in photoshop either, because I prefer a more direct result.

i think model and photographer need to be as relaxed as possible. i know this really HOT girl who i often take pictures with. the first time i worked with her she would hear the shutter trip and immediately start asking, "how was that" and "what do you want me to do now." the "keepers" turned out fine, but boy could you see her nervousness and stiffness in the ones that got tossed. after working with her a while now she is so much more relaxed and the pics look so much better now...even the bad ones. unfortunately there is no substitute for experience (on both sides of the camera).

maybe its a bad idea, (ive really only worked with my friends up to this point) but i like to level with the people im shooting. most people try to play down photographs by saying itll be fine and that you look great, trying to build up the person...i do that too, but not till i tell them how i totally understand how weird it is all the sudden when a camera gets pointed at you. i tell them how i know how to walk, stand, and smile like a normal human being, but i know how that all changes when the camera is pointed at you. i also like to explain that if they look crappy its probably my fault, bc it is. we have to know our stuff, particularly our sensitivity to light. hair and makeup arent always options, but light is always present.

ive found that tempering the whole "you look great" thing with some honesty helps them to feel more confident that the end product will be something theyre pround of...or at least not ashamed of ;-)

as for being the subject in a pic, i try to do my best to look relaxed and live by the golden rule. im not wild about having my pic made like most people and being a photographers we are probably more sensitive to the flaws we have than most. i just keep in mind that its probably important to the person whose taking the pic, and me whining about not wanting to do it wont help me to look better and it may hurt their feelings.

oh, and understand that what feels comfortable, as far as posing, maybe look terrible and visa versa.

ive probably talked a lot, without saying anything, as this is probably nothing new to anyone. i wish there was a magic filter or trick to make people photogenic...and only i had it. mwahahahaha. but as far as i can tell there isnt. hope this helps or is at least was entertaining.

to leanne. wow, youve got some serious rock-star attitude going on(unless i misread). im almost jealous. if you can actually back that up then youll go far in this world and be really well off to say the least...and then i really will be jealous :D

take care.

Shooting someone from slightly above, at least for a headshot or 3/4 shot, makes people look slightly slimmer. Also, try to get your subject to look three-dimensional. Shoulders square to the frame often makes people look huge. A catch-light in the eyes can make people look more alive, esp. in B&W. The smile should be closed-mouth or full-teeth. Partial-teeth smiles can look odd.

Rockstar attitude...maybe it's about time :) Well, I've never actually shot less than a roll, to be completely honest. Sorry about the way that came across, I was responding to a flame ( I think) but it got deleted, so...

Makeup and hair do help. It's wrong to think that only models need this kind of attention. It builds confidence and makes people feel that you are looking at them critically in order to help them look their best.Then they trust you more too, when you say that they look fine.

Assorted answers:

"If your model has a double chin, turn her head so that she looks over one shoulder: the second chin will disappear.

"Stout people should never be photographed in full front view. This makes them seem larger than they are, especially if they wear light clothes.

"Keep the hands of your model edgewise toward the lens if you don't want them to look like pile drivers. Don't tell your model to do this; arrange the hands for her after she has assumed a natural position."

These and various other tips are from "The Amateur Photographer's Handbook" by Aaron Sussman, from several years back. Check for it or actual portraiture books at your local library.

Lens draw can often be just as important as the angle you use.

Not everyone looks their best using a conventional portrait lens.

For example, a slightly wider lens from a higher angle does

wonders with certain subjects. I usually look for the person's

best feature and work lens draw and angles to make that feature

the star of the portrait. It is why having a good selection of lenses

is essential IMO. It allows you to study the different effects

different lens can have on a person's face.

Not everyone is model beautiful, and you have to study the

structure of their face to down play certain things and bring

emphisis to others...like a good make-up artist does..

In the example posted, a more conventional lens draw didn't

flatter this woman (left photo) even from a slightly higher angle.

She had nice eyes and hair which I decided to make the star. So,

I explored a wider lens and even higher angle which resulted in

the image on the right...which the client chose for the final print.

I sometimes also use music when shooting. People tend to

respond to it emotionally and get into the session. I also tell

them what we are doing and why, which brings them into the

process with an understanding of the effect we are achieving

together. (ie: "relax your shoulders, it makes your neck look

longer"). Basically, the chit-chat is about them, and how they will

look their best...which is exactly why they are there. Shy people

forget their self consciousness in such an environment.

In many cases, subjects have told me they never felt more

beautiful...they felt special, like a movie star or something. It

comes across in the pictures.<div>0064zs-14594584.jpg.815b25d83513ebcb9f73f59769d4cdd5.jpg</div>

I think the best way for most people to look better in photos is to *not* smile. Try looking into the lens with a relaxed composed gaze. Really good "photogenic" smiles are few and far between. Most people distort their faces terribly when they *try* to smile. I'm always telling people to relax their face and smile with their eyes, which seems to produce a small, slight, natural looking smile. Works for me.

I�ll through my two cents in,

Sure makeup and hair can help (depending on what type of photo they want). I don�t do much with it mostly because I shoot more B&W and have lighting techniques that work well.

The most beautiful face (they tell you) is an oval shape. I don�t know that I always believe this, but for this post I�m goin� with it. So you should choose a lighting style to make a face look more oval. For instance if your subject has a round face you would want to use short loop lighting. This would bring a shadow down the side of the cheek and, in a sense, thin the face. The lady in Marks photo has a very angular face and would look grate with Rembrandt lighting (which is split lighting with a triangle of light on the cheek bone). Not to say that long loop (which is what he did) is bad on her. There is a thread just above this one called: Girl WITHOUT bikini top this time with the PICTURE that shows a good example of Rembrandt lighting.

There are 5 main lighting styles for portraits they are:

Butterfly (glamour),

Short loop,

Long loop,

Split,

and Rembrandt.

They were not created for photography, but for painters, and started well before photography was invented.

If you know the right lighting technique for the shape of your subjects face it will make a huge difference.

Ok enough of me rambling

Cheers

• 2 months later...