jeff_rivera5

This is a shameless plug for a man I've never met, hell never even

bought anything from. The few times I've called him to ask a

question, he has always been most helpful. Currently, I'm looking

for some parts to rebuild a camera. Mr. Gowland has suggested

several solutions that will save me money, even though he certainly

didn't have to. Like so many I've encountered in the LF world, he

is a true gentleman.

I return you now to your previously scheduled programming.

Didn't really know anything about Peter Gowland until a couple years ago when I got serious about photography. Turns out, he's the guy who did all those great Rigid Tool calenders that adorned the shop all these years. Hey, this is the guy who wrote the book on modern glamor (aka Babe) photography, not to mention making some fairly innovative cameras.

Yes, Peter Gowland in my experience is a completely approachable and helpful person, and he takes great pride in his cameras. I was pleasantly surprised the first time he called me personally to check up on some details having to do with some lensboards I had ordered.

I've used an older 8x10" Gowland PocketView (not the newest ultra-ultra-light) for a few years, and I recently picked up a used 4x5" front-moves PocketView (which is more pocketable than the 8x10"). I like them, but they're not for everyone. You give up a certain degree of precision for light weight. If you search here and in the camera reviews at largeformatphotography.info, I've posted a fair amount about the 8x10".

The new ultra-light 8x10" has no rear movements and looks like it has the smaller rail and focusing block used on the 4x5" cameras. The regular 8x10" with full movements lets you put the focusing block on the rear standard, and I consider this feature alone worth the extra two-and-a-half pounds. Mine is somewhere in between these two, with full moves on the front standard and rear swing and tilt. The current regular 8x10" also has rear rise/fall and shift.

Peter Gowland is a legend and a gentleman who is possibly

less admired in this PC era than he deserves. I shot nought but

centrefolds for 30 years and all my basic training was from

Gowland bokks on how-to.

I was fortunate enough in the 1960s to meet him and his

charming wife when they visited Sydney (Australia) and were

guests on a TV 'Tonight' show that I was working on. I was a

wide-eyed 17 year old nerd (not that nerds had been invented

then) but he and his wife were totally forthright and helpful to me.

He was a role model along with Sam Haskins who I later

interviewed for a photo-mag.

Andre de Diennes, Gowland, Haskins, Rawlings! What pioneers

they were broaching a subject so taboo at the time .... and doing

it so honorably. Today moral standards are all together different

and yet this new libertarianism has overlooked these

ground-breaking photographers and the establishment down

values their contributions also. Gowland lived and believed his

milieu ... a hallmark in itself. I am eternally grateful for the legacy

I exploited from my momentary encounter.

WG

Peter Gowland is amazing! While working on not less than three book projects he made the time to bring to reality my sketchy idea of an ultralight 8x10 view camera for backpacking use. Peter and his fine machinist Roy made mechanical sense out of my ideas and in the process took them several steps further. The project was time consuming, exhausting really, but Peter never wavered in his enthusiasm to solve the problems inherent in any new design - challenges compounded in difficulty by the weight reduction issue. The target weight of 5 pounds seemed hardly within reality, yet the design proved ultimately so efficient that the actual weight of my unique 4x4 front lensboard version of the camera christened by Peter the "Gowland Lite 8x10" actually came out at an astonishing 4 1/4 lbs. A camera that can go (albeit with limited film supply) anywhere one can transport a 4x5 - since the weight is no more! Actually it is LIGHTER than most 4x5's. And I am thrilled to have it and to use it.

Just to clarify one of the technical comments made here, the Gowland 8x10 LITE does NOT have the smaller 4x5 rail which is 1/2" on most models but instead a 5/8" hollow rail. It DOES need the larger size rail for strength. The blocks themselves can be either 4x5 blocks bored out for 5/8", like I have, or larger ones. The block size is not really an issue for strength. Any camera is compromised for a certain targeted use and the LITE, with its 4.5 lb. weight, is one of the most specialized 8x10's ever made - it is a wilderness backpackers camera. It is not designed to be ideal for do-it-all general purpose photography, 8x10's that are weigh 8 lbs. and up.

Tim, you are correct on both counts. Focus block is front block as are all of the Gowlands that I have seen. The rear standard is fixed to the block. To have rear movements would require a "U" bracket and frame to swing the back. This would add weight and bulk, of course. I have really not missed the rear movements, in practical use. However, rear movement could be added to this camera with a little ingenuity (and 6 oz. + weight gain, I would think). Both my 4x5 and 8x10 have zero settings - there are ways to add them to the Gowlands. That is something I would NOT want to do without.

• 1 year later...
FYI. Peter Gowland is going to reach a major birthday on August 3rd! I recently contacted him based on all the comments posted about Peter on Photonet. After studying his site and communicating with him, I decided to buy one of the last Gowland 4x5 TLRs Peter has. Despite the fact that he has never met me, he has given me more advice and answered more questions than a reasonable person could expect. I hope someday when I am his age people talk about me the way they talk about Peter..."he has always been most helpful...he is a true gentleman...he met more babes than...what a nice man...he wrote the book on modern glamour (photography)...he is a completely approachable and helpful person...he takes great pride in his cameras...he called me personally to check up on some details...is a legend...all my basic training was from (his) books...doing it so honorably...he made the time...never wavers in his enthusiasm to solve problems...I don't have enough good things to say about him...I wish I had his energy." Peter deserves our respect. How many famous self involved insecure photog jerks have we all run into that would never answer a question or help out? Even at 90, when he only has energy to work 4 hours a day, he still takes time to respond to emails and call people back and share what he knows. One of the most telling comments was about Peter's subjects. 40 or 50 years ago, it was taboo to shoot the subjects Peter shot. He did his work with no fear but deep respect for the audience, subject, and the genre..and he probably had lots and lots of fun. Peter is an innovator. He has solved many of the problems we deal with today...we just have different equipment. I also find it interesting that despite the subjects he shot, it appears that his wife has been an integral part of everything in his life...(Helmut Newton appeared to enjoy the same experience). It would be fun to have a cup of coffee with these ladies...I should bring my wife! There are lots of lessons we can learn from Peter! He is a true gentleman and I'm guessing that he has been a good friend to many.

• 2 months later...

Wow - interesting thread. I think I may have bought his last 4x5 Gowlandflex just now.

And spent time discussing the camera and a couple accessories and lens choices with him

just now.

<p>

Completely gracious, helpful, knowledgeable and funny. He mentioned on the phone (and

in a prior e-mail) that he will be 90 on April 3 next year. My friend and I mused that we

will consider ourselves lucky if we are engaged and exciting at 65!

<p>

Quite remarkable. It's always refreshing and motivating to talk to a photographer who is

so passionate and so knowledgeable about his art! I'm not building my own cameras to

achieve my vision:-( He is inspirational. I know that sounds sappy - but it was quite a fun

and engaging conversation about cameras, lenses, shooting, and life.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Gowland is indeed all what people say here - a legend, a gentleman, a fantastic photographer and a great guy to deal with.

He has helped me a lot with camera stuff too.

I have two of his prints, which he was kind enough to sign. His prints look so much better in-person than on the web, and he has many of them for sale.

Check out his home-made camera submarine on his web site! Amazing stuff.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

<p>Yes, I found out a couple of weeks ago. I sent an email to Alice wishing her well. She is a wonderful person. She said there were numerous people who expressed condolences and her neighbors are keeping an eye on her to make sure she's okay. Those of us who came in contact with Peter will always keep his memory in our hearts.<br>

Goodbye, old friend.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p><strong>This is a very sad loss to me. Just this evening I learned that PETER GOWLAND died on March 17 - 2019. I first met him through correspondence in the 1940's when he popped onto the scene with his numerous how-to-do articles on Glamour Photography, his techniques and his studio-darkroom equipment he built. I built quite a few of them for myself.</strong><br>

Peter was a most inspring talent and Gift from God to the world. One of a kind. He created techniques and innovations everyone today uses with no recognition to him. He literally created the Glamour Photography business as we know it today.<br>

His feature articles in Mechanix Illustrated magazine are classics to behold. His many books published by Fawcett Publications and others are true collector items. I leaned much from them all. Unfortunately, some dirty s.o.b stole them all with all my photo equipment, cameras, books, negatives, prize winning prints, transparencies (35mm & 4x5 & 2-1/4 square glass mounted) while I was in the hospital with terminal lung cancer surgery. These included sets of Gowland Glamour Pose slides as well. I was devistated.<br>

When I first wrote to Peter I asked him about his film, developer and processing times he used. He wrote back: "ED, One Test is worth a Thousand Opinions. Try severa.l Pick one you like and stick with it".</p>

<p>Another time I asked him how he managed to accomplish all he did with the books, articles, model shoots, personalized darkroom work, travel, etc. He said the he is basically a lazy guy and creates and builds these things to make his work and life easier.</p>

<p>Two years ago I sent him a great book as a Christmas Gift to him and Alice. Alice told me that he hates to read as it tires his eyes easily, so she read the book to him on Christmas Eve and he loved it. Later I sent him a long letter and Alice told me that Peter found it so interesting and bringing back many pleasant memories of the past, that he sat in front of the monitor for over an hour and read every word. She said I should feel proud because he NEVER reads anything from anyone. :-). Yesss...did make me feel good to hear that.<br>

Both Peter and Alice coroberated on all his books. He did the phothraphy work and she did all the writing. The both worked on the RIGID Tool Company Calendars. They were an unbeatable winning team. I first met them personally when they were entour doing their training seminar. I think of them both always and miss him terrably. Fortunately, I STILL have my "PETER GOWLAND BOX"...which contains many magazine feature articles about him, and the earlier RIGID Calendars.</p>

<p>My greatest regret is never had gotten one his Gowland 4x5 TLR Cameras. He and I used 4x5 Speed and Crown Graphics as well as 2-1/4 TLR Rollieflexes, Stereo Realists and Pentax 35mm. Heilander Strobonar Flashes were TOPS. I learned much from him. God Bless You for being PETER GOWLAND, Peter. Both you and Alice were such good friends to me.</p>

<p>~ ED Cherney</p>

<p>PS...Please excuse any typos...this is written early in the morning and I have mourning tears in my eyes.</p>