Best Lens for 300D

aidan_yu

Considering the kit lens is only $100 extra and functions as a 29-88 lens on a film SLR, i'd say it's a steal. I bought the kit with the lens and it's reasonably sharp, not out of line with the lens that comes with a film rebel camera. Fast focusing and reasonably sharp, not the best in sharpness, but certainly not the worst. it's a good starter lens. Also, it focuses down to about 4" away, so it's pretty good for closeup work. I have some shots of my eyes wehre you can see the muscles in the iris. pretty cool stuff for a cheapo lens :)

As for stepping up, Get a 50mm F1.8 canon lens. it's plastic, light and under $80 and a great deal as well. if you can afford it, the 50mm 1.4 is better, but about $200 more.

as for other lenses, the sigma 70-300 dl is a good steal at under $150, the APO is what i have and i'm not sure if it's better or worse, there is always a debate about it. I received it as a gift, so i can't exactly complain :)

Sigma has also recently impressed me with their customer service, so i'm kinda biased a bit with them right now

Those 3 lenses should keep you pretty happy for a long time to come and won't break the bank, probably less than $350 total in lenses if you shop around (including the $100 for the kit lens)

Assuming you're on a budget (based on choosing a Digital Rebel over other Canon digital slr's), I would recommend the matched $100 lens that comes with the camera for general use. If you want better quality, go for the 50mm f/1.4. In zooms, I'd stick with Canon "L" glass (24-70L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, etc.). I would not recommend non-Canon glass (i.e., Sigma) if you want the highest quality images (not everybody does).

Personally, I'm doing most of my shooting on the 300D with a 50/1.8, but I bought the kit for the 18-55 lens that comes with it, and it's not a bad piece of glass, especially for $100. If you're not shooting in low-light situations and you don't want to be throwing the background out of focus much, it may server your purposes.

Further, <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/300D/EOS_300D_lenses.html">this article</a> on lens choice for the 300D will probably be useful to you.