500C Focus Screen

peter_sollett

Peter, I have the same camera and have no trouble focusing. The technique is to swing the focus ring on your lens back and forth bringing the subject into and out of focus a few times, finally stopping mid way which is the point of sharpest focus. Depending on your chosen depth of field there is usually a little latitude with this. If you need to you can use the depth of field preview button on your lens to determine what the camera sees (to release the 'depth of field preview' just turn the focus ring all the way to the right and then back again).

Don't try fine focusing, i.e., staring at the ground glass screen and moving the focus ring slightly this way or that, your eyes tend to adjust and will fool you into shooting out of focus.

The 500C's ground glass screen has been working very well for photographers for as long as the camera has been around, seems a shame to waste money for a very small advantage.

Best of luck!

The original 500C screen IS quite dark and hard to focus under some circumstances. As my eyes got older, I really had a time under normal room lights....so I had an accute matte screen installed. It took a repair facility to do this and once it is installed, you cannot change the screen as in later models. However, it is a BIG improvement and I suggest it highly if you are having a problem.

Peter,

I also have a 500c that I recently had the screen changed. For me it made a world of difference. I don't know of anyplace in NY but you can send it to Bill Maxwell at:

Maxwell Precision Instruments.

3158 Caintal Ct. Dec.Ga.30033

(404) 244-0095

Kip Babington has also listed a fairly simple procedure to do it yourself.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0008zH

Hope it helps...kb