Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D or Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX Macro

payyakkil

I am looking at buying a 50mm lens for my Nikon N80. The Nikkor is

half the price of Sigma and it has a wider apreture too. I guess the

Sigma is costlier due to the macro capability. Could anyone help me

with a comparison of the two lenses?

You answered it right there. If you plan on doing macro get the macro and if not, then get the other one. That's kind of like pondering whether to buy a sports car or a pickup truck. Sure, they both have four wheels and an engine but one does one thing really well and the other does another thing really well. The Nikkor 50 f1.8 won't go 1/1 or 1/2 and I guess the Sigma does OK macro but will get smoked as normal lens by the Nikkor. I use a 50 1.8 and 55mm Micro-Nikkor. Both are fantastic lenses but very different. Figure out what kind of shooting you'll do and then you answered your own question.

If you want a normal macro, compare the Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AFD micro and the Sigma 50 f/2.8 EX macro. Both will double as a regular normal lens for most daylight applications. You want the 50mm f/1.8 AFD (or f/1.4) for low light situations. Normal macro lenses don't have much working distance (space between front element and subject at 1:1). An 85-105mm range micro/macro has more working distance but costs more.

Nikon's standard 50mm lenses are the 50mm f1.8 and the 50mm f1.4.

Nikon's least expensive macro lens is the 60mm f2.8 Micro.

If you wanted both features I would get the inexpensive 50mm f1.8 and the 60mm

f2.8 micro...the 50mm f1.8 is quicker to use in the field due to focusing.

I have the setup that Jason describes: the 50mm f/1.8 and the 60mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor. I thought that the 60mm would replace both, but the 50 is just too good at low light and at infinity. The 60 is weaker at infinity. When I had the 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor, I used it all the time for everything. However, the 55 f/2.8 is an AIS lens, and won't meter with your F80.<p>In your situation, I'd get the 50mm f/1.8 first, then see if you really want to do macro using close-up lenses 3T or 4T to start with before buying a macro lens.

A 50-60mm range macro hard to use, if you really want macro you would probably prefer something at least in the 90-105mm range.

The reason I like the 50mm lens most are because they are small and light. A macro 50 won't be as light and small.

It depends what you wan't. Both should perform very, very well