do not feel satisfied with the answers. The question? I am a

beginer wedding photographer and currently own a F100, N80, Nikon 35-

70 2.8, Nikon 70-300 4-5.6(inherited), Nikon 20mm, sb-80 flash. I

just bought the F100 and need another versatile lens for it. I

primarily use the 35-70 on my N80 and like it but would like to get

closer on some shots. I really like the idea of a Tamron 28-105 2.8

but have heard mixed responses. I want to be able to shoot B&W in one

camera and color in the other. What should my next lens be???? The

Tamron 28-105 2.8, the Nikon 80-200 2.8 or other?

Thanks for your help, Wendy

i have a strong prefernce toward fast primes so weigh my response accordingly. first of all the 80-200 is a load to carry and for wedding photography is only really going to be used at the short end. i would pick up a fast 85mm zoom. this lens works best for head an shoulder shots. i would buy the f1.4 if you can afford it, the f1.8 if you can not. shooting either wide open allows you to blur the back ground to eliminate distractions for more pleasing shots. the f1.4 shot wide open is slightly soft and will soften the age lines of some of your more elderly guests. the 50mm f1.8 is also a great lens at a great price.a flash bracket and a flash diffuser and a flash bracket should also be considered.

I would go with the 80-200 2.8. I just got this recently after selling my 85 1.8 and am in love with this lens. Results are superb and I'm finding the versatility of the lens to be great. It's a wonderful portrait lens and the fact that you can zoom from 80-200 lets you cut in tight for small detail shots (back of the dress, hands with rings, etc.) quickly without having to walk back and forth. I love primes and they are great when you have the time, but in a wedding situation where you are often pressed for time the efficincy is greatly appreciated. It is a large lens and somewhat heavy, but I think it versatility and optical quality outweigh that fact. I don't see any reason for you to get the 28-105 since you have the majority of that range covered with the superior 35-70 2.8. I wasn't sure if I would like this lens when I first got it, but after using it for some portrait shoots among other things I'm really happy with my decision and it has quickly become my most favored lens.

How do you plan to use the backup camera? Different film (so stated)? Same film to avoid a roll change? Different lens? Failure backup only?

You don't have a 24mm in your stable. That's a really useful range, and is one the truely great performers. A lot of wedding stuff is plain-vanilla, so I'd consider mounting a 50/1.4 on the backup. You don't have time to do a lot of lens-changing.

The 80-200/2.8 is a great lens, and a heavy one! It's the lens to use at the Sacristy door or from the back of the church. You won't want to carry it around your neck, especially on a second body. You'll use this lens mainly when flash is not permitted, so you need the f/2.8 version. I'd consider the 70-200 VR, since the difference is <$300.

If you intend to carry both bodies, you'll want to keep a lens on the second body you can just pick up and use. Since your favorite lens (mine too) is the 35-70, you need something in this range, zoom or prime. You don't have time to swap lenses between bodies. The 35-70/2,8 is a great lens! You might consider getting another, perhaps a used one ($300-500).

The question you have to resolve for yourself is whether you are going to let your lenses dictate your shooting style or your shooting style dictate your lenses. The former is easier, the latter more satisfying in the long run. Can you look back over your existing wedding shots and work out which focal lengths were most used? And can you recall any particular shots you missed through lack of the appropriate lens?

• 8 months later...