Bogen Tripod and Ball Head help for hiking/nature work

clayton_tadler

I am looking to acquire a new tripod for work when hiking. I already

have a large heavy Star D tripod but it is much for long trecks. I

am 6' tall and have been looking at the Bogen 3001, 3011, and 3021.

I also need to get a ball head and wanted to initially get the Bogen

3625 pistol grip but have been told it is not worth it by a few

people. Will the shorter height of the 3001 be a noticeable problem

in liew of weight and what is the best ball head on the market fot

$60 - $100. I don't want to go whole hog for a tripod for another

year or so, but don't mind dropping $200 or so now.

Yes, I am currently using a Canon AE-1 Prg. and Canon F1. Both cameras are used with teh larger motor drive which takes twelve batteries, adding hefty weight, and I consistently use my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 with an extender or two if necessary and possibly a flash/ring light for macr use with the vivitar or bellows.

Regarding the tripod, the 3021 is your best choice, IMO. I am a little taller than you, and I found that the 3021 was just barely tall enough much of the time for me, but was comfortable enough. I think you'd get tired of stooping to look through the viewfinder on a shorter tripod. The 3021 will be stable for your equipment.

As for ballheads, I don't have any experience with any at that price. I have tried the 3625 pistol grip head, though. Though it is a neat idea, I didn't like it -- way too hard to make fine adjustments, not stable for heavier loads, and completely unstable for vertical shots. All IMO; I know some people are happy with that head.

Hi Clayton,

I used to own a Bogen 3265 pistol grip ball head, and can speak from experience. This can be a wonderful ballhead, and easy to use. But, only for the right application. Therefore, PLEASE BE SURE TO UNDERSTAND IT'S LIMITATIONS ON HANDLING WEIGHT. (Below are the 3265 specifications). Anyway, based on the equipment that you've described in your posting, I would be concerned with the amount of weight that you are wanting to put on the 3265 ball head.

Good luck and I hope you find my information helpful.

Sincerely,

Randal

PS..... As a side note. If you are interested, I have a Bogen 3233 tripod, in 100% LIKE NEW condition, for sale. I am the original owner, have the original box, and all paperwork. Please drop me an email and let me know if you are interested....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bogen 3265 Grip Action Ball Head specifications:

Supports 5.5 Lbs

Specifications Max. Camera Supported = Medium Size 35mm Slr

Load Capacity = 6 Lbs.

Height = 8-1/4"

Quick Release = Yes

Spirit Level = Yes

Tension Control = Yes

Tripod Mt. Thread Size = 3/8"

Weight = 2 Lbs.

The 3021/3221 works fine for this six-footer too. The 3262QR is a good head for it, matching it in expense and capacity quite nicely. Although I do carry mine on day hikes with an overstuffed Domke F2, I would use a CF unit if I could afford one. Getting a 3021/3221 down low for flower/small critter shots is not speedy, but it works. An essential tool to carry with the legset is an 8mm socket and handle for those pesky self-loosening leglocks. Put it in your camera bag and leave it there. Bogen/Manfrotto would block this post if I told how often I use it.

Hi Clayton, I own Manfrotto 190 (identical to Bogen 3001 in the US) and wouldn't carry anyting havier. The tripod is used with lenses up to 200 and the results are good. I haven't tried anything longer than that so no comment. With respect to stability, in windy situations, you can stabilise it by not fully raising it (not using the lower leg section(s)).

If you would restrict yourself to something in that range I would recommend the light 3001. However you ask about an 840mm lens (i presume you think of two 2x extenders). I feel you should read the section on how to stabilise a 600mm in photo.net's static content.

Does your Vivitar have a tripod collar? If not, I would, based on the experience with inexpensive Minolta G-winders (I doubt the one for the AE-1 is more stable) remove the winder before mounting anything long (>90mm) and heavy. My camera wobbles a lot when mounted intop of the winder. Once you get a tripod: have fun.

I just got a set of 3001 legs ($75 new at a local shop) and a used ballhead that I can't identify (it just says "mod. 108" on it) and am loving it.

I've been using it for macro work, long lens (well, not heavy lens... I have a 300 f4) and scenics with my Minolta XG-1 as well as a Yashica TLR. I'm getting a Kiev 88 soon, and I expect it to work just as well for that too (weight distribution similar to a Hassy).

The flexibility of the 3001 legs is wonderful. 3 step spreads and reversable center colum and is lighter than the tripod I used to have that wasn't as stable.

Clayton,

This combination - Bogen 3001 and 3625 pistol grip, is what I have been using for years. Its total cost is $150, and its total weight is 5.5 lbs. Since I am 5'7", I cannot speak to the height issue, other than to say that I very rarely use it fully extended.

As to the stability with weight issue... Well, I just don't know how to respond to the other folks who posted. I use a Mamiya 645 (certainly no lighter than your camera), with horizontal and vertical orientations, and find the setup as solid as can be.

Also, I have dragged my camera/tripod/head into jungles, deserts and mountaintops, very satisfying to have chosen it.

I recently bought a Bogen 3001LC and 3055 head. My theory was that I would seldom extend the tripod full height, but it was there if I needed it. What really sold me was that B&H had the LC version for a little less that the 3001. I've so far had few problems with the head. Mostly 1:2 macro shots of mushrooms. Loaded weight on rig, 2-1/2 pounds max so far. Carrying weight 5.25 pounds.

I have been using a Bogen 3205S (a short black version of the 3001). It is OK for shooting flowers because usually I have to get down low anyway, but I would like to get a taller tripod, since I am over 6'. I am thinking of the 3021. I have tried it in the store, and even though I would have to bend down, I wouldn't have to get on one knee as I do now.

As for the ballhead, I have a Bogen 3262QR. This is OK for smaller lenses such as the 28-105 3.5 or a 70-300 4.5. Recently I got a 180 2.8 which is heavier, and when you lock the ball, it tends to sag a little bit before it steadies out, so I have to compensate for that. I am planning to get a Giotto large ball head for about $110 from B&H. Reports are that it is well-made, much more solid than the 3262, AND it can accept an Arca-Swiss style clamp (available from Really Right Stuff).

The "mushy" lockdown problem with the 3262 ballhead is easy to fix. Take apart the head and remove the thick grease inside. Replace with wd-40 or some other light lubricant of your choice. I think the thickness of the grease (and the amount of it) causes the difficulty with locking down this ballhead. I fixed mine and it works great now--locks down solid and doesn't move at all after locking.

Clayton,

I bought a Bogen 3221 and it has been wonderful. I am 6-2 and I have no problem with the height at all. I even took most of the center column off so I could get it dont to about 12" off the ground

As for the head, despite the fact that they are deadpanned by some, I bought the h/d giatto head. I love it, it is very easy to use, strudy as all get out, and relatively inexpensive. I have mounted a 300mm 4.Ol lens on it with no problems at all.

I dont use a quick release plate, but i have been told that the Giatto model is not very good, that a kirk system would be better. Personally, I usually just mount the camera to the tripod and carry a second body and smaller lens around my neck. i find it a lot easier, plus I usually can't hand hold a 300mm anyway and get anuthing decent to come out

Good luck

Bob