Exposure index for E100VS

robert_eaves2

I have run through a box of E100VS (in 4x5) in the last year. It is a very good film at asa 100, but it might print better at asa 80. At asa 100 the color is very good, but shadow detail is lacking and falls off fast. I think if you intend to print, you may have better luck at 80. I run Velvia at asa 32 when I intend to print as 50 is just too dense at times for a great print. Much of this depends on lighting. A very contrasty scene can be a problem. Flat light would be better at the rated asa for both films. I would take a very contrasty shot at both ratings and see what you get for a print. That is really the only way to tell until you run enough to get a feel for it.

This film really likes reds and browns. It will take a subject and add red when you compare it to Velvia. I'm still waiting for Velvia at asa 100 to compare the two and get a better idea.

Robert,

I think Tim has it right. I've shot a lot of it over the last year and a half, and frequently the transparencies look a little better at 80, better shadow detail.

However, if there are delicate highlights, you'd likely be better off rating at 100. I shot blooming mountain laurel in subdued light recently, and while the EI 100 shot looked better overall, the delicate pink flowers were losing detail that the 100 shot preserved.

Also, the very saturated films tend to go blue with underexposure, and often the EI 80 exposure will reduce this effect.

I usually take 1 shot at 80 and 1 at 100.

Thanks!

Steve

I shoot this film all the time, and I found the best results are to

rate the film at 100 and than push the film +1/2 stop in dev.

It really looks a lot better (cleaner whites, and no shadow

"mush") and have yet to bother trying to rate it at 80 and

processing it normal. this goes for outdoor shooting AND

controlled lighting situations in the studio.

The best bet is to shoot several sheets (2 at iso 80 2 at iso 100

and so on) and process one normal and one at +1/2 or +1/4.

Pulling is pretty worthless a lot of the time, the color balance just

goes blue half the time, but if you are so inclined....

Tell the lab to id the sheets, and than compare them on a light

box. For my usage, I consistently found ISO 100 + pushing a 1/2

stop yielded the best results. Your taste may be diff, or your lab

or whatever.<div>005QDn-13424384.jpg.83843e3fe48abc5581bb9c577fd6164a.jpg</div>

I find Velvia 50 at 32 to be equivalent to most 100asa films at 100 asa in terms of both shadow detail and highlights.

Attached is the composite of the curves for E100SW and Velvia at their rated speeds, as can be seen the velvia (at 50) curve (green) requires more light (vertical axis) to reach the same density as the E100SW (at 100). If velvia is shot at asa 32, the curves become closer.