28-80 D lens?

marcel_bourgeoisie

Hi, I've just brought a second hand 28-80 D lens for my F90x but now

I'm thinking I should take it back? There seems to be confusion on

the net between the D and the G and is it possible there are 2

versions of the 28-80 D lens, one good and one bad? I realised the

build wasn't great but I'd be annoyed if I'd just brought myself a

recognised bum deal. Please advise, I don't have long.

There are two versions of the 28-80D lens, as seen by the linked photos on Roland Vink's site:<br>

<a href="http://home.aut.ac.nz/staff/rvink/nikon.html">http://home.aut.ac.nz/staff/rvink/nikon.html</a>

<p>

He details some differences in number of elements, use of aspherics, and close focus. I have no idea if one is 'good' and one is 'bad'.

The D denotes that it communicates distance with certain flashes. G is a new mount without an aperture ring that is used with newer cameras. The G lenses may not work with the F90. Check with Nikon.

When talking about lens the F-Stop makes a big difference in describing the lens. There are lens with the same focal length but with different F-stops that are completely different.

I elieve the lenses you are describing are designed to be sold cheaply to consumers. There are sites that discuss performace. But I wouldn't worry that much about it.

The 28-80D/3.5-5.6 is a fairly cheap lens meant for amateur use wich was replaced by it's aperture ring-less brother, the AF 28-80G/3.3-5.6. The optical quality is okay but is not comparable to the more expensive lenses. <br><br>

BTW, in fact there were two versions: one with a thick focus-ring and a thinner focus-ring, but that didn't have an effect on the build-quality.

That was the last version of the 28-80mm before the G series came in. Appart from the build you don't actually say whats wrong with it. Unless something has broken or is faulty then its unlikely the buyer will give you your money back - or unless he has mis-represented the lenses spec or condition. I have both this and the older version lens and an F90X. I would say the quality of the equivalent G lens is actually worse than this - especially opticaly its awful. Also worth noting (although you may already know) is that the F90x won't work fully with G lenses. You will loose out on aperature priority and fully manual (as well as other functions). Give it a try I have very expensive ED lenses and although it can't really match the fast aperatures, its by no means the worst lens I have used and gives acceptable results.

This was the first lens I owned for my F90x. Although the build quality leaves a lot to be desired, optically it's pretty good for it's price. I used to make enlargements up to 12x16 with and was pretty happy with the results, although there's an obvious drop off on the corners which is to be expected.

• 3 months later...