Differences Between Rollei 6000 Series Models

wayne_barber3

I gather there is some difference between the 6001, 6003 and 6008

models with respect to accepting film backs. It seems that someone

told me that while the 6001 and 6008 use identical backs, the 6003 is

different somehow. Something to do with different inserts. Could this

be? And if so, anybody have any idea why Rollei would do such a

thing? Thanks for any advice.

There are a number of good Web sites comparing Rollei models. You might also check out Danny Gonzales' medium format web page and the Wall Street camera web page as well as Rollei's own Web page (which contains a number of mistakes though).

I can only speculate about the reasons why Rollei has the different back types on its current models. When the SLX was introduced by the end of the 70s, the built-in motor drive was a primary feature and quite a sensation. At that time, Rollei chose direct film advance via interchangable inserts over an indirect film advance via coupling wheels of a magazine. The advantage of this strategy were (i) fast film loading and exchange, (ii) high motor drive efficiency because of direct coupling between motor and advance wheel, and (iii) cost saving due to less than $100 inserts compared to $800 magazines.

While quite a revolution by the time of its introduction, the SLX did not succeed in regaining medium format market share that was lost to Hasselblad. Reasons included (i) electronic unreliability of the old SLX as well as (ii) lack of interchangable film magazines which many pros had gotten used to by then. Under renewed leadership and as a reaction to the concerns of the pros, Rollei improved the SLX with the 6006/6002 models and added interchangable magazines in the 6006.

In the current fleet, Rollei aims the 6001 at the professional who needs and is going to use a number of magazines in the studio but does not need a built-in light meter. The 6003 might be aimed at a different type of photographer who will focus on the built-in light meter automation of the motorized Rolleis. Here Rollei can save some costs and present a less expensive model by not using expensive magazines but rather providing the less expensive backs with cheaper inserts. The 6008i as a top model has both: the light meter automation as well as the exchangable magazines.

By the way, the 6003 is also able to accept the magazines, but with a lesser film advance speed compared to the 6008i.

I have been salivationg over the Rollei 6000 series for quite some

time, and though i don't own one I can probably put a dent in your

lack of knowledge. let's see...

1)They all use the same inserts.

2)The 6008 has all the bells and whisals one could ask for except for

autofocus. (Internal multizone metering, which can extrapolate to

aperture or shutter priorty and auto bracketing, plus removable film

backs.)

3)The biggest and possibly the only difference between the 6008 and

the 6003 is that the 6003 has no removeable film back. It is designed

for quick insert loading. The drawback is that unlike the Pentax 67 or

the rangefinders made by Fuji or Mamiya or the standard filmback for

the Contax 645 the permanent back on the 6003 only takes 120 film (no

220).

4)The 6001 is the econo camera. It is almost the exact same camera as

the Hasselblad ELM, ELX, ELD in that the only metering is TTL flash.

However, the 6001 has auto bracketing the hassy doesn't.

5)All these cameras have motor drives.

Hope this helps

If you don't need to change mid roll, the film back on the 6003 is more convenient. Very easy to load with inserts. Or carry around a few preloaded inserts. They're cheap. About $40 in good used condition. And they weigh a lot less, making the 6003 easier to handhold and lug around out in the field. True, the 6003 film back only takes 120 and not 220, but to me that's not such a drawback. To upgrade to the interchangeable mags you need to buy a filmstage and adapter. About $200. Then of course buy the mags which also take the inserts. Note that Rollei does not recomment putting a 6003 film back on a 6008.

For the way I shoot, the 6003 was a better choice for me. Do some serious research before you buy. If you can, handle them at a camera store or rent if possible. All the 6000s are wonderfully capable cameras, but documentation is awful and there's a ton of misinformation out there. For example, four common mistakes I see about the 6003: no self-timer, no depth-of-field preview, no mirror lock-up, and it doesn't meter down to 0 EV. It has all of these just like the 6008.

If your looking to buy a 6003, there are reputable sellers on Ebay who occasionaly list them. A like-new kit with body, battery, charger, and 80mm PQ lens should go for around $2000. If you want a warranty, buy from a dealer. Check out HE Chamberlain, Wall Street Camera and Robert White in the UK. Cheers.

Dear Wayne:

The Rollei 6003 Pro with its noninterchangeable back has a dedicated film gate or stage. When you move up to magazines you must also get a different film gate. These are accessories.

If you have a 6008i and want to use the slimmer 6003 Pro back you must buy the 6003 Pro back and its dedicated film gate. These are replacement parts. Rollei at one time denied this could be done. It can be and now these accessory parts can be purchased from Marflex.

When using the 6 by 4.5 rotating backs in its special frame no film gate is used.

Ed Carmick