Ebony SV45 vs RW45

shawn_furlong

I now want to get into LF and have been shooting 35 and MF for

years. My area of interest is "mainly" landscape. However, I do not

want a " landscape only" camera. So, with that in mind, is the RW45

suitable and save the $1000 or should I look at the SV45 and pay the

extra money. Or do you have other suggestions entirely. Ebony vs

mahogany is just cosmetic I assume? Thanks.

Hi Shawn

I had the same decision to make last year and ended up buying the RW45 (in mahogany), mainly because the range of movements it has are more than sufficient for my landscapes but also because I couldn't justify to myself the extra money for the SV. The range of usable lenses is pretty good as well, 60mm to 300mm if my memory serves me right.

Have a look at Ebony's website (http://www.ebonycamera.com/) and also Robert Whites (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/) Each have the full range of specs and extra info.

Steve

www.landscapesofwales.co.uk.

Shawn,

The Ebony cameras are all beautifully engineered and a pleasure to use. I have a 45SU, which is an excellent non-folding camera for landscape photography that sells for about the same price as the SV45. I suggest that you begin by considering which focal-lengths you plan to use, how much bellows-length you need, and which camera movements (including back movements) are important to you. Although back movements are especially useful for architectural and still-life photography, I find that back movements are also sometimes needed in landscape work.

Your other question is about choice of wood. The Ebony wood-finishes for mahogany and for ebony are low maintenance surfaces. Other makers, such as Gandolfi, have beautiful finishes that, frankly, scare me. I would not know what to do about scratches on them. With Ebony finishes, a little linseed oil retouch will hide scratches effectively (you should ask Ebony what specific retouch formula they recommend). The mahogany is lighter in weight, an important consideration in the 8x10 cameras but not so importnat in 4x5. Mahogany and ebony are both very stable, so I think either wood will be fine.

I've had an RW45 for the past 2 years and could not be happier. I too am interested primarily in landscape photography, and can - without reservation - recommend the RW45 for your intended use.

I use 4 Fujinon lenses - a 90mm, 150mm, 240mm, and 300mm. If the images are not stellar, I can assure you it is certainly not the fault of the equipment !!!

You WILL NOT be disappointed with the RW45 - or any other Ebony camera !!! Good luck with your decision .....

The difference between mahogony and ebony wood is more than cosmetic. There is a weight difference also. With the SV series of cameras the weight difference between the two materials is pretty big, more than two pounds as I recall (6 pounds and change vs. 4 pounds and change. )I don't know what the difference is with the RW series but you can find that information, as well as the specs for the SV45 and the RW45, on the Ebony web site. It's hard to tell you whether the $1,000 price differential would be worth it to you. The main differences as I recall from the time when I was deciding which camera to buy were the longer bellows on the SVs, some extra back movements maybe, some axis vs. base tilts maybe, and the levels that are on the front and rear standards of the SVs but not the RWs I don't think. I opted for the SV45 back when I knew all this stuff from memory but I've now forgotten most of it. However, you can look at the specs on the web site and see whether the features that the SV has and that the RW doesn't have are worth the cost differential to you.

Hi Shawn,

If you are planning to use lenses less than 90mm, it may be best

not to chose the RW45. The only negative report I had heard is

that the standard bellows is a bit stiff and any lens less than

90mm will not allow good movements. A 90mm is fine. You can

of course use a recessed lens board to regain some movement

with a short lens. I do not know about the wide angle capabilities

of the SV45.

Shawn, you may have discounted them already, but perhaps a more important question than the one you posed is whether you would be better off using a non-folding camera if you are mainly into landscape. Depends on your choice of lenses, but if you spend a lot of time using focal lengths of 120 mm or less, a non-folder is much easier to use and gives much more freedom of movement. I write as a satisfied owner of an Ebony 45S!

Hi Shawn. The RW45 "E" is a lovely camera. I personally think that Ebony got it right when they replaced the mahogany RW with the ebony wood version. The E is a VERY underrated camera. It is a real capable beast! All the movements you are likely to need plus the aesthetic appeal of ebony and titanium! You need to decide the focal length lenses you envisage using and get a camera based on these specs. I am a confirmed wide-angle landscapist! For me the wider the better! The SW45 fits the bill and is a superb choice if you plan on using a lens shorter than 180mm. Another very good choice would be the 45 S. Whichever model you decide on you WON'T be disappointed! Good luck

I also do landscape, outdoors stuff. I opted for the nonfolding 5x7 SUE. The folding camera takes longer to set up and if you don't need the bellows extension, the non folding cameras make alot of sense. Check out the Ebony website for the excellent discussion on this.

Hello Shawn,

Michael gave some excellent advice. I think you should first decide which lenses and movements you will require, both now and in the future. Then find the camera specs that best fit. I can't comment on the functionality of any Ebony since I've not yet used one. However, thanks to the excellent advice I found in this forum, yesterday, I placed an order for my dream camera with Jeff at Badger Graphic.

I almost went the SV45Ti route and had I done so it would�ve been because the Mahogany version weighs over a pound less and it also costs less. As I�m sure you�ve noticed all the SV cameras can handle a remarkable range of focal lengths and still retain an excellent range of movements.

After much thought and soul searching I decided not use sheet film but to get a 2x3 instead. I also decided to move away from folding cameras and started to look at the 23S and SW23. However, neither was perfect. But thanks again to this forum I found out about the 23SW/23S Hybrid that Ebony will make to order. This camera was almost perfect for me but thought the movements on the rear standard would prove to be a little limiting. So I gave Jeff a call and asked if Ebony would make the Hybrid but with the rear movements of the 23S. Jeff got back to me the next day and said yes they would. Additionally, Ebony will be fitting a Horseman folding focusing hood and all this at a very reasonable up charge. Finally my dream camera!

If you shoot a lot of B&W using the zone system or think you might then 2x3 may not be for you. But if you don�t and you don�t plan on printing bigger the 16x20 on a regular basis then I would take a good look at the Ebony 2x3/6x9 cameras. I think this is especially true if you plan on going digital. Also, if you don�t see exactly what you want then ask if a custom change can be accommodated. From my recent experience I think you�ll find the answer is probably yes. Providing you don�t ask for that 2lb 8x10� view camera with a 15~1200mm f1.4 auto focus zoom lens and 6fps motor drive ;-)

If you do decided to go with the SV45xx then I would get it with the Universal bellows instead of the regular ones that come standard.

Hope this helps now I just have to wait a month for my dream machine!

Hi Ed,

You hit the nail on the head! I know I'll want to use a 47XL a lot with the camera and didn't relish the thought of doing so with a recessed board. With the Hybrid I'll be able to use it on a flat board and still have plenty of movements. Additionally, in the future I think there's a strong possibility that I'll want to use either a 35mm Apo Grandagon or a 38mmXL and this would never be possible on the 23S. Furthermore, with the Hybrid, on a flat board, there's still enough bellows extension to use a 270mm tele Nikkor/300mm tele Fujinon or focus 1:1 with up to a 120mm etc. You could even use a 360mm tele Nikkor/400mm tele Fujinon with an Ebony extension board!

For me, I know the loss of the rear movements would become frustrating, especially shift. So the Hybrid with the rear movements of the S was the perfect solution.

Jeff at Badger Graphic told me the price of the Hybrid is the same as the S. There was an up charge to add the rear movements of the S and another for the Horseman hood. All in all it will cost about the same as a SV23.

I've not got any lenses just yet but have ordered a Nikon W 105mm to start with. I'm going to use the camera for a while and get used to it before purchasing more lenses. However, I plan on getting a 65mm Nikon, 200mm Nikon and of coarse the 47mmXL. Also, in years to come perhaps a 360mm or 400mm tele and 35/38mm. Any thoughts?

Chris,

If I understand correctly you�re getting the 23S back on a 23SW. If this is the case the bellows is only 157mm, meaning that the 200mm and tele lenses your planning on using will both need to be used with the extension back......The added weight and bulk of this extention back seem to somewhat negate having a small and light camera. And having to attach another back negates the speed of the non-folding design. Something to think about anyway.

Ed,

The camera is not exactly a 23S back on a 23SW. It's a 23S back on the SW23/23S Hybrid. The min/max bellows extension on this camera is 38-255mm so there's no need for the extension back etc. To see the full specs of this camera go to www.ebonycamera.com and in the "Cameras" section you'll see "made to order" and there you'll find the Hybrid. But you'll notice that the rear standard is only capable of rise and that's why I wanted the camera built with the rear metal frame and movements of the 23S. Basically, the camera will be a 23S with the wide-angle capabilities of the SW23. But it will have 20mm less bellows draw (255mm as apposed to 275mm on the 23S).