tlr or 135slr

jay_alonzo

There's no right or wrong answer with this question. I just need your

opinion/preference. The question is: If you have to choose, which

would you prefer to use, a tlr with a fixed 80mm lens or a 135 format

with different focal length lens, for personal creative shooting?

Jay, I´ve made my choice. My Leica R6 collects dust in a cupboard

while my Rolleiflex 2.8E is with me most of the time. The fixed lens

is no drawback for my kind of photography, but of course a lot of

pictures cannot be made without a longer or shorter lens. I leave

those pictures for others, and make those I can. In the process, I

learn to see more and more possibilities in a single lens. Since I do

not have to carry and choose between lenses, I am less tired and more

prepared for those pictures I CAN make with my trusty twineyed

I also prefer the TLR route. I can enlarge the center of the frame to have the same as a 35mm medium telephoto (assuming I as careful about keeping the film flat). Moreover, with the Rollei TLR, the leaf shutter is so much smoother than the focal plane shutter of my SLRs (even with the mirror locked up) that I can produce tack sharp 16 by 20 prints with the lightest of tripods. Since I often use a tripod, the carrying weight of the tripod is significant. So, as a practical matter, the TLR outfit is both lighter and sharper.

Paul Roark, http://www.silcom.com/~proark/photos.html

Normally I don't choose. Since I have a 35mm film scanner and access to a flatbed scanner, I tend to use my TLR for B+W prints and my 35mm SLR for color slides. (6x6 chromes look great but are not feasible until I can get up the scratch for a medium format film scanner.) Of course, I'm not limited to an 80mm TLR lens, as I use a Mamiya C330f with 55mm f/4.5, 105mm f/3.5 DS, and 180mm f/4.5 Super lenses.

As my vocation is shooting vintage and special interest motorcycles, I choose both. My TLR's (Minolta, Rollei) all have 75 or 80mm fixed lenses and serve my needs well, either shooting straight on, or at an angle where I need to stop down to adjust DOF. My 35mm equipment is used mostly for detail work with either 28 or 50mm lenses. I'd hate to choose, but since the majority of my portrait work is done with TLR's I guess they would be preferred. I think "nuts and bolts" in terms of photography; and view 35mm as not only a different format but back-up gear to my MF camera's as well.

With my FM2n I find I can act faster when I feel the urge to, especially during street photography. However, I must say I do the same with my Rollei 2.8E but am more carefull with when/what I shoot, as I only get 12exp per film :-). When I first got the Rollei (6 weeks ago) I only shot negative film. Last week I got my first chromes back (Velvia) and decided not to shoot anything but Velvia with the Rollei. The result images are simply awesome! The 80mm planar lens is just brilliant and I do not find myself inhibited in any way, not being able to exchange lenses on the TLR. Both have their merits in my opinion. You'll get a lot of attention when doing street photography whilst carrying a TLR. People will mind less being 'shot' and girls will jump in front of you, asking to have their picture taken.