jobo

julian_thomas

I have the same trouble sometimes and what I do is take one or two of the chemical bottles, fill them with water and freeze them. Then I put them in the processor to cool the water bath. If you need to use all the bottle for chemistry you can always dump ice cubes into the water bath.

AFAIK the Jobo can only heat up using it's heater to maintain the water jacket at the process temperature ie. there is no way of cooling at all other than by waiting for the water temperature to cool down by itself. When the first dev reaches the process temperature (in an upwards direction) it starts processing.

There is a warning in the manual that if the first dev temp is greater than the process temp it will start anyway (ATL1000/1500).

I guess you will need an accumulator of water to feed the Jobo that has a cooler/heat exchanger incorporated, or uprate the dev temperature and adjust development accordingly (time and/or dilution).

I float a pasta collander (spaghetti strainer)at the far end of my CPP-2,and periodically put is cubes in it. Then set the temp dial to 20C. The water will want to go below this set temp, but the jobo's heater keeps it in a perfectly balanced equilibrium at 20C (Until all my ice melts and I forget to put more in!) Gotta watch to make sure the ice doesn't float in the jobo, as it make get sucked into the pump and cause problems.

I did the frozen bottle thing but as of now I do the following:

I set the temp at 19.5 if I want to develop at 20 deg. I use a gallon

bottle of ice water that I've had in the fridge to bring the temp

down when I start. I also have some baggies loaded with ice cubes ready to float in the water bath if I run out of ice water.

• 4 years later...

Heres my solution to this problem. I take two (or three) gallon bottles, the same ones that I buy distilled water to mix chemicals in, and fill them with tap water a couple hours before processing. Then put them in the fridge. You will have nice cold water. Remember your room temp is also higher, so you will also need to make sure that you have extra on hand to keep it cool.

No ice to worry about, and no extra bottles, meaning that you can keep them all filled with your chemicals.