Domke F-2? Please advise

idoy

I'm looking for a bag. It will have to hold: Elan 7 + grip, at least

4 lenses (50, 24-85, 70-200, 20-35), flash, film, and other stuff.

I'm thinking about the Domke F-2, but I'm concerned about its size -

I'm afraid it's too big.

Other alternatives are the F-3X and the F-6, but I'm afraid they're

too small. The thing is - from their specifications (I can't go see

them in a store, so I'll have to mail-order them), the size seems too

small, but maybe I'm missing something because I don't really know

how they're built, what pockets they have, and what sizes these

pockets are, and how much padding they have. So if anyone knows these

bags and can describe them to me, I'll be very happy.

Thanks,

Ido Yellin

<p>I use the F-2 to carry an EOS-3 body w/ battery pack, Rebel 2000 w/ battery pack, 3 lenses, and a 550EX flash. That's a tight fit, but it will go. If I want to carry the EOS-3 body with a lens attached, I leave the Rebel 2000 body at home.

<p>I don't think the bag would be too big for what you need to carry. In fact, I think going any smaller might be difficult.

<p>The bag is basically heavy duty canvas construction. The bottom is padded, but the sides are not. It has 5 outer compartments: One on each end and two on the front side (all of which have velcro closures) and one large open pocket across the back.

<p>You can get padded inserts for the end pockets, but that significantly reduces the carrying capacity.

<p>The top flap also has a zippered inner pocket. I don't find that one useful for a lot of stuff, but I do keep a couple of filters (in cases) and the manual to my flash up there.

Ido,

There is no such thing as a camera bag that is too big. Sooner or later you will have it stuffed with gear to the point where it has become too SMALL! :-)

I use the F2 bag. It has served me very well for close to 15 years and still looks great. It is a very strong, durable construction, built without unneccesary padding where it isn't really needed. When I purchased the bag it was for a Minolta AF system about the same size as your current system (1 body, flash, 4 lenses, film, filters, etc.). I never found the bag to be "too big". Because it is made of a soft canvas with detachable padded interior inserts it is not a bulky bag if you don't cram it full of gear, and the unused exterior pockets will "collapse" to a more compact size.

I think the F2 will fit your system nicely, and give you a little bit of room to grow if you decide to add a second body or additional lenses. With the gear you currently own there is no need to purchase any additional inserts, as the included 4 compartment insert will work nicely for your lenses, and your body and flash will fit neatly on opposite ends of the bag.

Michael

I bought the F-2 earlier this year, and ended up selling it right away. I love the way it looks, but it was too big and bulky for me. My system is comparable to yours (maybe slightly smaller). I think that it certainly is possible for a camera bag to be too big. The temptation with a big bag is to fill it up, and the weight then becomes unbearable. I wish I had gotten the F-6 instead, but to avoid more potential bag problems, I just bought a Domke insert to use in bags I already have.

A camera bag is a personal decision, so take all comments with a grain of salt. The best thing to do is take your equipment to try out the bag in the store. That wasn't possible for me, though.

Best of luck...

I don't know if you've seen this already, but there is some information online that

may answer some of your sizing questions:

http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/domkest.htm

You can also get different inserts to suit your needs. Wraps or neoprene lens bags

can supplement the padding without adding bulk.

This are great bags. I find they're the best "working out of bags" I've seen. These are

not bulky bags. As such, the "too big" label is mostly a matter of weight: if you load

up a big bag with your entire system, it could be a drag.

I personally have the F-2 ("original"), F-4AF ("pro system"), and F-3X ("super

compact"). I find the F-4AF a little better sized for modern AF camera (F-100) and

2.8 lenses; the F-2 now contains my OM-1 system, which doesn't get out as much.

Lately I choose the combination I want to bring and put it in either the F-4AF or F-3X.

Anything more than a loaded F-4AF puts too much load on my shoulder, and I find a

Trekker (backpack) more appropriate.

I find the "post-office style" shoulder pad to be very worthwhile.

I think of these as on-the-go, working-out-of bags, and when that's what I want I

have found none better.

Hope this helps.

Ido,

Add another camera body to your kit and I would say the F-2 is exactly the right size bag you need. An F-6 would be a tight fit for your kit, where would you put the film? I think an F-3X is too small.

I have an F-2 and an F-4AF (the F-4AF is for sale). The F-2 fits an N90s w/grip, FM2n w/motor drive, 85/1.8, 180/2.8, 35/2, 20/2.8, and flash all in the main compartment. Film goes in one end pocket, batteries and odds and ends go in the other end pocket, filters and TTL flash cord go in front pockets.

I've had a F-2 bag for 20 years and it's the best bag I've ever had, holding 2 bodies, 1 motordrive, 3-4 lenses, and stuff. It's not too big and you'll fill it up. It's just big enough to carry just what you need comfortably and won't tire from too much stuff. The canvas construction is very durable; I've had no failures in the stitching, padding, etc. And I've noticed as it ages, it's less noticable it's a camera bag.

Before you buy one, why not take your equipment to a store with one and test it? It's a good bet you'll walk out (paying of course) with it. Good luck.

The F4AF is my favorite, and is usually the one I travel with. I also use it for 'local' stuff where I'm only shooting for an hour or two.

The F2 carries a more useful amount of gear, but it is possible to get it so heavily loaded that it will damn near kill you. One trick I didn't see mentioned above: the F2 I bought 6-7 years ago had a rigid pad in the bottom, masonite wrapped in neoprene. For several years, I hated the F2 because it seemed to 'stick out' too much and bang into things. I finally removed that bottom board and replaced it with a double (1/4") sheet of neoprene. With that setup, I get much better 'conformation' to my hip and I'm not bumping into things with it.

I sometimes take the 'cube' insert from the F4AF and transfer it to the F2. This is a good way to have a 'ready camera' with a short zoom all assembled and ready to go.