Seller who won't give Serial#'s

paul_neuthaler

I agree with the seller to some extent, tho' I would provide part of the serial number upon request or include it in the original advertising/auction info.

It's too easy for an unscrupulous person to obtain serial numbers, claim that he once owned the item, file a false theft report and try to use the authorities to, in effect, steal the item.

If the true owner cannot provide a complete paper trail to refute such claims he may actually lose the item and face criminal charges.

Generally speaking when I provide serial numbers I omit parts of the ends of the numbers and will digitally wipe out some of the final digits in JPEGs. For example, if I were to sell my Rollei I'd list the serial number as 1465xxx. This would be sufficient for a collector to determine the manufacturing date, etc. But it would be relatively difficult for an unscrupulous person to file a false claim.

BTW, if you look at any periodical in which virtually any item is advertised for sale, very rarely will you see an experienced seller publishing the entire serial number, VIN or other identifier.

Humm. If some of my equipment was stolen and then very similar stuff appeared on ebay and the seller would not give up the serial number, I would contact the athorities.

I've listed full serial numbers in Shutterbug Ads years ago and recently I've been selling on ebay I list the full serial numbers. No problems so far. I have good docs on all my stuff, I don't care if they file a false claim, they would have to prove it was theirs.

I must have sent over 100 emails over the last 3.5 years buying stuff off of ebay and I have never had a seller refuse to give it up.

I'd be concerned in this case.

Tony

Your bid is a firm commitment to buy the item and there is no basis for you to refuse to complete the transaction on the basis of information received later. For expensive items, I request the serial number, telling the seller politely that I routinely check this number against lists of stolen equipment's serials.

Ask E-Bay to check the serial numbers for you? Give them this PhotoNet source to look up stolen number against or make it a clear stipulation in the agreement to buy that it will be checked before any money is transfered over.

I wouldn't buy anything of value without knowing if it was stolen or not. Pass on the deal otherwise and report it to e-bay anyway.

The more you say, the less people listen.

I recently sold an A12 back on Ebay. I provided the Serial number when

asked. No big deal I think, but just the refusal to give them to you would make

me kind of wonder.

Personally, I think there are so many A12 backs for sale I would just move on.

The hassle you save may be your own.

I've often posted the serial numbers in ads, or they were plainly visible in photographs of the items. Considering the cost of cooking up and actually pursuing a false theft claim, I wouldn't worry about it unless I were selling something worth more than a few thousand dollars, and in such cases, I would usually have a record of the original purchase.

Which is to say, I do think it a bit suspicious that the seller won't give you a serial number, or at least a partial serial number to allow you to date the item.

You're not wrong at all. The only reason to conceal a serial # is if the seller suspects (or knows) that the item is stolen. As someone who's HAD gear stolen, I would definitely want the serial #. Ignore the above comments on a false claim of stolen gear. If there wasn't a police report filed prior to the date of the claim, no court in the country will do a thing )in fact it's quite hard to get the police or a court to do anything even WITH a report, including serial #s).

Let's step back a minute. In the olden days, when buying at camera shows or from a

mail order dealer-I generally received or always aaked for a paid receipt with serial

number. Fast forward to eBay and I think things have gotten a bit sloppy and I don't

think stolen goods is entirely or more than a fraction of the issue. In any event, when

buying something, always ask for a Paid Receipt with Serial Number. At the very least,

we need that for our household inventory and insurance records. GOOD LUCK...

Yeah I thought I was being a bit naieve. I haven't had the displeasure of dealing with E-Bay since I'd rather see the merchandise first before I buy, especially delicate items like cameras. Many of he "deals" I have seen have turned out more expensive, after shipping and handeling is tacked on, than what I can get right here in my home town NYC camera shops plus I got to see and try it. If I have to take it back for any reason, it's local, not a hastle with some jerk in a cabin in the woods.

Besides I do believe e-bay is under investigation for having stolen goods sold on it's site, that should say something about buying there.

BTW:If e-bay doesn't have a channel open to it's customers, then pass on that site, report it as suspect to the atourney general's office or better business and let them deal with it. PASS THE DEAL UP! I don't trust e-bay anyway.

Wana buy my RB67?

The more you say, the less people listen.

You can only leave feedback if you have done a deal with the seller (it was not always this way). And its 99% certain that if you give a seller negative feedback, they will retaliate and do the same to you. The feedback system on Ebay is misleading, ever wonder why there are so few negatives?

• 2 months later...
I've bought a few things on ebay (and without any problems) and all the sellers I bought from have provided the full serial number one way or the other (usually by just showing it clearly in a photo). I understand why some sellers would be paranoid about false claims, but if you're the one buying then I think you're the one who is entitled to reassurance. The seller should at least be willing to supply the number privately before you buy.