Need D30 vs. 10D advice

brenda_mcdonald

I am an amateur who wants to start a small time photography business

from home. I do not plan on doing weddings or commercial, just

children, families, portraits, etc. I own a D30. Can you do this

kind of "business" with a D30 or would a 10D be a major improvement?

I know this is one of those really subjective questions, but I just

would like a 2nd opinion from those of you who are more experienced.

Would you purchase a 10D or wait and see if the next model is a

monumental improvement

If you're thinking of making large prints the D30 wouldn't give you enough

information. I'd go with the 10D. Say someone wants a family portrait for their

mantle. Could you print the files from your D30 to 16x20? Even with the 10D this

could be a stretch, but at least you have more pixels to use. You might also want to

check out Fred Miranda's website. It has many Photoshop actions that you can buy to

rez up images. The actions are reported to be superior to Genuine Fractals. Just my

.02¢....

Andrew is on the right track, it depends on the size of prints you expect to make. The D30 works great up to 8x10 but starts to get a little soft bigger than that. The 10D (or D60) will go to 12x18 with no problems and probably farther. The 10D will handle flash better as well.

Hi, Brenda

You´ll find that the 10d delivers better and clearer files that the d30. in fact I have

never used a d30, I used to have a d60, but I have a 1d which is 4.3 megapixels and

still the 10d file is better.

For me there would be no doubt, I´d buy a 10d. You´ll be amazed of which is capable

of delivering

<P> <I> If you're thinking of making large prints the D30 wouldn't give you enough information. </I></P>

<P> Well, not everybody <a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/d30/d30_vs_film.shtml">thinks so</a>. I guess it all depends to what you are comparing it to. To a film body ? It will probably suffice. To the 10D ? Well, the 10D will be much better but will you really use this improvements (i.e. make really large prints) ? </P>

<P> Happy shooting , <br>

Yakim. </P>

• 2 weeks later...
Don't be too swayed by those who own the 10D and say that they can print huge photos. Remember that 35mm cameras, even with the tightest grain film, do not print well beyond 8x12 (D30 prints superbly to 8x12 with 1.5x res SI res-up in PS). If you want huge prints, then the 35mm format is not the way to go. I use my D30 as it is meant to be used - a 35 mm camera. I have a 6x7 film camera that I use when I know that I am shooting for larger prints. So, until they come out with a cheaper 1D with a CMOS, I don't imagine that I will upgrade due to the "poor" image quality I am getting.