Polaroid instant : Sheet or Pack / 545 or 405

gnps

I am considering using Polaroid instant film in order to preview my

landscape setups and also obtain images quickly if required since I

don't do my own processing. There seems to be two options. Either the

545 holder and use of single sheets or the slightly smaller (and much

cheaper) 405 holder and film packs.

What does anybody else use and why? What advantages/disadvantages

have you found with either. TIA, Nigels.

Nigel, if cost is a consideration, you might also think about buying used. I picked up an old 545 back on auction site a few days ago for around $50. It arrived yesterday. It is rather heavy (made entirely of metal) and seems to be built fairly ruggedly. I cleaned it up a bit, tried it out last evening with some type 55 pos/neg film, and it works *perfectly*. I think it will be a blast to use, and it was certainly worth $50. There are lots of old 545 backs available, and in good condition, they appear to sell in the $40-80 range. I think I'm really going to enjoy using type 55 film, and I'm not sure that's available for the 405 back.

In addition to the above comments:

- seems to me that the film selection for the 500 back is more limited than for the 545 or 405.

- my experience with the 405 has been mixed - when mounted in my camera (a Zone VI), it is difficult for me (with fat fingers) to grasp and pull the dark-slide handle, and very often I inadvertantly pull the holder away from the camera back as I do this. The result is that I fog one edge of the film

Personally, I use both styles of polaroid back.

To answer your question specifically... While in the field I ONLY use my pack film back. The polaroid is cheaper, is smaller to pack, and gives you the majority of the image to judge exposure. (what you said you wanted it to do)

The back is larger than a film holder (thickness) so make sure your camera back can handle it. I use a Wisner Technical, and it's a squeeze but does go in and works well.

I've been using type 664 and get very decent results. But of course, it doesn't cover the entire 4x5 frame.

The main thing in exposure is to take the reciprocity failure of Polaroid film into consideration. At longer exposures, even at 2 seconds, it's substantial. I built myself a table that gives me the difference in stops between the Type 664 and Astia film for each different shutter speed that I might want to use down to about 10 seconds. Reciprocity failure begins at about 1/30th second and longer exposures for Type 664. I use the Polaroid tables to estimate the degree of failure. It also helps to know that the tables are built on a logarithmic scale.