Strange spelling...

patric_dahl_n

But we MUST be very careful in some tradename spellings...

Componon and Componar ...NOT the same animal! (is there a Componan?)

Trans-Atlantic ill-rubbings of my own..

Colour -vs- Color (I pick Color!)

Humour -vs- Humor! yep.

Arse -vs- A s s (this one really chaps my hide!) there is no "arrrrr" in a s s! (shallow American I am!)

and of course we musn't (?) forget:

The northeast USA has some of the most warped and compacted mispronunciations in all of English.

Go to Massachusetts and ask for directions to "Worchester" if you are saying "Wor-ses-ter" you will be laughed at... if you think you are keen and pronounce it "Wor-ster" they will still look at you puzzled.. Pronounce it yet again as "Wer-ster" and they will know you are from other "pahts" of the country. Alas, the correct pronunciation is: "Woo-stah"

Pretty screwed up if you ask me. And the English in UK have one up on us in Leistershire? or is it Leicestershire, or the ultimate agony.. Worchestershire. ("Werstersheer")

Ugh!

Luckily pronounciation of Finnish is so straight that if you understand the language, it's difficult to miss. But then there are other typical errors...

I kinda like "arse", it's very close to the Swedish equivalent and the pronounciation has a bit more attitude than the American equivalent. Hassleblad is actually pretty funny, considering the the camera's legendary user interface.

Other than that, I can see that many misspellings come from thinking phonetically, eg. "Rollie" will be more natural to some people to say than the more German "Rollei".

Mike Lachance , oct 25, 2003; 04:58 a.m.

But we MUST be very careful in some tradename spellings... Componon and Componar ...NOT the same animal! (is there a Componan?)

--------------------

I have seen many auctions haunted by this "Schneider cunfusion". The description can say "Retina IIc with Xenar" when it actually has a Xenon. Sometimes Xenon is confused with Xenotar.

Oskar Ojala, yes finnish is very straight forward, and it's easy for us swedes to pronounce finnish words. Most of us know that the finnish "u" sounds like the swedish "o", and your "o" is more like our "å". There's a little confusion around your "p" and "b" though. The biggest problem we swedes have with finnish is that we don't understand it. :-P

<i>and it's easy for us swedes to pronounce finnish words</i>

<p>Yes, but try pronouncing without an accent or to speak a dialect and the difficulty level is considerably higher :-)

<p>In Finnish pronounciation c -> k, b -> p and g -> k, when spelling strictly, there are no w and x. But the vowels tend to confuse foreigners. As an aside, the slang differences between fennoswedish and stockholmska can be interesting...Fennoswedish borrows a lot from Finnish, while Swedish borrows from English.

<p>But I firmly believe in the theory that many misspellings are due to thinking phonetically; many typical errors in Swedish and Finnish can be attributed to this.

People misspell the trade names because they are not ordinary words that can be

checked in a dictionary, digital or paper. Spell-checking programs often flag these

names, offering bizarre and sometimes hilarious alternatives, bur rarely the correct

spelling. Unless you have the package nearby or a greater than average desire to be

exact in your email postings, most errors slip by. Call it laziness.

Good spelling requires learning, obviously, and seems to be best reinforced in a

culture that values good writing and regular reading. Judge for yourself whether that

sort of culture resembles our own.

Sorry if I say that someone has already said:) But the case is about stressing the word - english speaking persons stress the first syllables (if I spell it right;)) - plAnar, sOnnar etc. So there's no significant difference for them how to spell if it sounds right. Have a nice week!:)

This is a good point to say "Thank You" to all the native English speakers out there who are so tolerant for the mistakes of a non-native speaker like me.

Most or all of the words that Patric has mentioned in his original post have been invented in Germany. And there the stress is on the last syllable: Planàr, Tessàr, Rodinàl.

I don't have problems with there, their or they're. My main problem is to use the right time (or is that "using the right time"?)

Hi Stefan,

<p>

And by <i>time</i> you mean <i>tense</i> of the verbs ;-)<br />

That is a part of English that always was/always has been/has always been/always was beeing difficult indeed...

<p>

<a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl">Wim</a>

<p>

PS As long as people avoid things like Rollie, Lieca or Fugi the situation is quite tollerable! Apart from all my Dutchisms that is...

Hi Stefan,

<p>

And by <i>time</i> you mean <i>tense</i> of the verbs ;-)<br />

That is a part of English that always was/always has been/has always been/always was being difficult indeed...

<p>

<a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl">Wim</a>

<p>

PS As long as people avoid things like Rollie, Lieca or Fugi the situation is quite tollerable! Apart from all my Dutchisms that is...

Just wanted to mention that what we write is heavily influenced by what we read. In college I took an advanced writing course, and we spent most of our time reading. According to the professor, we were to improve our writing by reading advanced texts - and advanced, they were. Practically unintelligible to the common man, but somewhat accessible with a little in-class review of the prior night's reading.

I tend to agree with his point of view - spending time reading online forums has killed my naturally good spelling and grammar. It only takes a few readings of a commonly misspelled/misused word to get me thinking it's normal.