10D and max print size

silvano

As usual it depends on your images and personal expectations.

The "rule of thumb" is that a good quality print needs 300dpi, and 300 dpi (at one pixel per dot) from a 10D file yields just over 10"x7". At 240 dpi - thought by many to be the absolute minimum for "photo" quality - the same thinking yields about 13"x9". For less good shots which need a little cropping then 10"x8" is usually OK. Others claim to make much larger prints, I have not tried.

One thing to remember is the 3:2 aspect ratio which means 6x4 prints are full frame but 10x8 (and other "traditional" print sizes like 7x5 or 12x10) involve varying degrees of cropping (ie: if you want 8" width you have to crop 2" from the image height as the 10D would give a 12"x8" size naturally.)

It depends on subject and the distance from the print to the beholder ;)<br>

Let's print a bill - 10x15 feets - and put it near the highway.... I swear that no driver will see pixels :)<br>

Let's print 10x15'' (I like this size)... Ok, it's nice when viewing from 2 meters.. even my D30 makes good 10x15'' print from that distance :)<br>

Lets' print 10x15cm... and get good magnifying glass... What's a hell, I see only dots and pixels here!! ;)<br>

A 10x15 print from a 10D done on a Fuji Frontier printer produces no visible pixilation even when viewed with a loupe. A 10x15 print is done at 200DPI if no cropping or resizing was done on the original photo. At 20X30 pixelation is visible upon close examination of the print, but at normal viewing distances looks very nice.

Go to a camera store and check the results. I was at a store last weekend for a 'Canon Day' and I saw what appeared to be 11X17 or 12X18 (inches) prints from a 10D and with the naked eye there was NO pixelation. They were printed on a Canon S9000.

I have printed portraits up to 40"x60" with no visible pixelization except on sharp

edges such as eyeglass frames. Then only when looking at the print from about 12"

away. Subjects with lots of fine detail max out at 20"x30". Viewing distance is relevant

since large prints are viewed at great distances. Thus ultimate res is not that

important. Up until recently billboards were printed at 36 and 72 DPI and no one

noticed.

I have tried GF Pro, Fred Miranda's actions and a whole host of voodoo for printing my

digital images at large sizes. I have found what works the best. For no charge I will

reveal it to all forum viewers.

My recipe:

Send an uninterpolated 18MB file to the printer.

Wait.

Enjoy print.

This is the actually the method that produces the best print. It also makes sense

because it is the only file that sends all the data to the printer that that was captured

by the camera. All other methods massage the data that results in images that

actually contain LESS data than the original file.In addition all the other methods take

a lot more time and bandwidth.

Try it and see.

I was reading my 'Photoshop for digital photographers' book this morning, written by the ed of photoshop user magazine. He says you need 150dpi for your prints, stating that everyone thinks you need more but you don't. Interesting comment. (I've always gone with the 240 for inkjet 300 for printing press figures most commonly thrown around)

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with the 150 DPI minimum resolution response. As the result of reading several technical articles on this subject, as well as my own experience / experiments, I'm convinced that due to the processing performed in a quality photo printer, no more than 150 dpi is required for excellent results. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the printing process (JPEG image, Windows platform, photo inkjet printer) doesn't throw away a lot of detail above this resolution when printing. Before I bought my 10D, I used a 3.1 mp P/S camera (Kodak DC4800) for 2-1/2 years, and I got excellent results printing its JPEG files @ 13 x 19 on Canon Photo Paper Pro stock on the S9000.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like everyone has there own difference print sizes with no pixel detail showing. I want to know if I print all 10D photos out on A3, can you see any pixel�s.

The first comment said it has to be 300DPI for best quality, that means the photo will be under A4 size, that's a big small if you want to make wedding photos out of it.

My main pre-purchase question was whether I could print a "full size" image on my 1290 that would be acceptable. The max paper size is Super A3 which brings the dpi down to about 180. For this I downloaded the lobster test image from the Canon website and printed it on the "best" printer settings.

The final image had no pixels visible with the naked eye at short range and gave me a lovely image.

On this basis I bought one.