RB Sekor C 180 4,5 on RZ Pro II ?

david_altmann

can i use the RB Sekor C 180 4,5 on a RZ Pro II ? this lens does not

look like the current RB 180 4,5. the manual of the rz II says i

should contact my mamiya service center but i dont have too much time.

(and im shure PN people know that too)

regards David

The situation is that RB lenses WILL work on RZ cameras, but Mamiya does not encourage this for heavy, professional use. The RZ series cameras actually have dual shutter actuation, using both electrical firing for the RZ lenses, and mechanical firing for the RB lenses. But the official Mamiya party line is that the mechanical mechanism was not designed for the same level of heavy duty useage as it was in the RB series, rather, it is a bridge strategy to work in a pinch or as a temporary stop-gap. They claim that if the RB lenses are not in the best of shape, and require heavier than typical force to cock and fire, then they will wear out the mechanical mechanism on the RZ series bodies.

Personally, I own both an RB and an RZ (Not an RZ II, though) and from my own experience, the RB lenses work fine, and there is nothing at all delicate looking about the mechanical shutter cocking and firing mechanism for using the RB lenses in an RZ. However, I HAVEN'T used my RZ HEAVILY with these lenses. For me, the difference was that an RB lens could be gotten for under $200 (under $300 for the C version) and would work with BOTH my RB and RZ bodies, while the RZ lens cost over twice as much, was the same speed, and only worked with my RZ body. It seemed like a no-brainer to me to go with the OLDER RB lens in that situation. Frankly, I'm not sure how much of Mamiya's caution is due to legitimate concern on their end about using the RB's older mechanical lenses on the RZ family as a matter of normal operation, and how much of it is just FUD to encourage sale of the newer family of lenses. For me and the light use I intend to put the camera to, the cost savings of the older RB lenses is compelling: I paid less than $350 for BOTH a 65mm and 180mm lens together, while the newest RZ lenses would have run me at least $500 EACH 2nd hand.