Does USB provide power to 10D?

joel_m_miller

I spent a few hours taking pictures with Canon's Remote Capture app on a Mac

PowerBook. The 10D's battery did not seem to run down. Could it be that when the

10D is connected by USB to a computer port that provides power (some do and some,

I think, don't), it runs off this power instead of its internal battery pack? (Or maybe I

just didn't take as many pictures as I thought).

The 10D battery is good for several HUNDRED shots. Assuming you use the onboard flash for some of them.

I think you would have to really work at draining the battery in a single session.

Also, the 10D uses USB 1.0 I was under the impression only USB 2.0 provided component power? I may be wrong on this. Regardless, the 10D will not charge off the supplied USB cable.

I can't answer other than to reassure you that some cameras do. The USB cable isn't only for data, My Canon scanner is powered by it. You can buy mobile phone battery chargers which just plug into USB (how would they turn data into power).

My Nikon P&S claims to use USB power when connected, however it still runs the battery down.

USB could provide power for transfering photos to your hard drive. (but file transfer

would be the only aspect of power transfer to the 10D it all depends on how the

software was written) USB 2.0 and Firewire on the other hand might (barley) provide

enough power to run the 10D (minus the flash) unfortunetly it does not come with it.

Maybe next time.

What's weird is firewire is a free open platform-from apple and now a standard for

camcorders (canon was one of the first to use it with their dv camcorder, you would

think their pro line would have it as standard, considering file sizes), What's weirder is

USB and USB 2.0 from Intel is not free, developers and manufactures have to pay to

use it on their products? So why no firewire?