No words - A rose is a rose is a rose

"A rose is a rose", i.e. the item repeated twice, is a meaningful stock expression in English and other languages.

In the USA everyone says it 3 times, what makes it meaningless, pretentious, and plebean: without understanding nd thus distorting the actual meaning of the phrase, we wish to make it sound "cool".

Yuk.

<i>

"A rose is a rose", i.e. the item repeated twice, is a meaningful stock expression in English and other languages. In the USA everyone says it 3 times, what makes it meaningless, pretentious, and plebean: without understanding nd thus distorting the actual meaning of the phrase, we wish to make it sound "cool". Yuk.

</i>

<p>

Actually, it <i>IS</i> "A rose is a rose is a rose." And it's not "a stock phrase," or at least it didn't start out that way. It's a quote from Gertrude Stein's "Sacred Emily."

Tom you are right, I'm living in Leicaland and of course I wanted to quote Gertrude Stein. For some others here a quotation by Rainer Maria Rilke (my favorite poet) from the first Duineser Elegie: ".. ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich..." Peter<div>005QxA-13446584.jpg.89837309c674bfb70d05e99c3fe68b0f.jpg</div>

Peter, I think it's a nice clean informative picture of a rose. Imogene Cunningham did several very fine and well known flower pictures, and they are not fuzzy or out of focus or otherwise romanticized as one forum comment suggested. You are working in a good tradition. And as for your paraphrase of the Stein quote, it seems a perfectly appropriate cultured and informed way to present your image, invoking the sense of focus on the object photographed, which is after all, what photography is all about.