New Rebel K2

christopher_engeler

Apart from cosmetic appearance I think the main differences with the Ti are that the K2 lacks DOF preview and has a lower 1.5 fps max shooting rate, no orientation sensor to aid evaluative metering, no dioptric adjustment on the viewfinder, no ability to set continuous shooting in anything other than certain pic modes, focussed points shown like Rebel 2000 below image, no LCD illumination and no remote socket. Overall, it has a lower spec than a Rebel 2000, but probably benefits from later generation AF and evaluative metering algorithms to some extent and a brighter viewfinder. If I was looking at that sort of camera, I think I'd look for a deal on a Rebel 2000 or pony up the extra for the Ti.

>All kidding aside, I'd love to talk to the marketing guy that thinks that having three cameras competing in this space is a wise idea.

I don´t think they see it as one marketing space. The European/non-US labeling is more logical and telling about the levels of these cameras:

Rebel 2000 = EOS 300

Rebel Ti = EOS 300V

Rebel G2 = EOS 3000N

Rebel K2 = EOS 3000V

The more the digits, the lower the specs, so the current film body lineup is: EOS 1V -> EOS 3 -> EOS 30 -> EOS 300V -> EOS 3000V. (EOS 30 is the Elan 7) And then add an "N" or an "V" for a bit revised product.

"looks like it's all made of cheap plastic"

<br>Plastic yes,cheap-no-it's a type of polycarbonite and they,ve been making them like that for near 20 years now .When was the last time you heard of a catastrophic failure or even a cracked lens mount?

Yes they feel utterly cr*p to hold but they do the job.

<br>The reason they have so many models is that they haven't dumped the old ones while still releasing new models.And the US only naming 'system' really should be tossed for good i think.

There's a little system in the camera names outside the US and Japan: EOS 1 - EOS 1N - EOS 1V; EOS 500 - EOS 500n; EOS 3000 - EOS 3000N - ... we may see the Rebel G2/EOS 3000N phased out soon.<p>Aside from that, it's the entry level market where the real competition is. People who buy their first "real" camera (after a P&S model) rarely care for IS, USM, sophisticated flash technology, supreme metering, or any other feature that makes pros choose a system. You don't make money on SLR systems; you can't sell them at prices that cover R&D costs and manufacturing--Canon, Kyocera, Minolta, Nikon, and Pentax lose money on every SLR body and any lens they sell. If it weren't for the prestige of SLR systems, we wouldn't have got any new SLRs in the past 15 years! Fortunately for us, an EOS 1V HS is a marketing boon to all the Sureshots on the shelves, and the EF 600mm/f:4.0L IS USM "proves" the Sureshots' lens quality if you believe marketingspeak. (Ditto for F5, AF-S 200-400mm/f:4.0 VR, and Nikon P&S models.)<p>There's only one exception to the manufacturing cost plus R&D to price relation: entry level models. There's nothing new in the Rebel K2, the Nikon N55, the Pentax *ist, or any other 'beginner' model, and their production costs very little. Ditto for the typical "kit" lenses where selling volume covers the costs.