Need some advice on used Hasselblad

chrislong

I just picked up a used Hasselblad 500cm off Ebay from a major NYC

camera store. I receive the body today and the thing looked great.

After firing some test shots I noticed that the shutter release would

sometimes stick in, not letting the rear curtains close back down

after taking the exposure. After a bunch of test firing it seems too

have loosed up and rarely sticks at all now. Is that something to

worry about or with constant use will it not be much of a concern?

Also, it appears that the foam around the area that the mirror hits

when it flips up is deteriorating some. How important is this foam?

There are a lot of black flecks on the mirror which I assume to be

from the foam.

I guess what I'm wondering is should I ask for my money back and

return the camera? Everything else seems to work well, but these two

issue have me concerned. What would you do?

It doesn't sound like anything that a clean/lube/adjust couldn't remedy. What used camera couldn't benefit from a CLA ... especially one that could have been used professionally or one that may have not seen use for years. The only question is who is to pay for the CLA?? Was the camera purchased "as is" or with the understanding that it was in good working order?

I am a factory trained Hasselblad technician with 28 years experience servicing the Hasselblad system exclusively, and thought I'd reply to your posting.

The fact that the relese button was sticking would indicate that the camera body is in need of servicing. It's nothing serious; more than likely it needs a good cleaning and lubrication.

The foam that the mirror hits when it flips up acts like a shock absorber. It is normal for this piece of foam to deteriorate with age, and start to leave specks of foam on the mirror. I see this quite often in older cameras. The price of a new piece of foam is $5.33.

As to whether or not you should return the camera, it would depend on the price that you paid for it, and the cost to have it cleaned, lubricated and adjusted.

David S. Odess

Factory trained Hasselblad technician

28 South Main Street #104

Randolph, MA 02368

(781) 963-1166

hblad1@comcast.net

i recently bought a used hasselblad system (500 c/m , 80 cf lens and a-12 back. i wanted to make sure i wasn't buying into a problem so i and had dave odess look at the hassy body, back and lens. i visited his shop and it's set up totally to repair hasselblad. he inspected all of my equipment carefully and advised that i don't need any cla right now which i thought was extremely honest and he's a tech i plan on using from now on for my hassy gear. he's the guy to contact.

hs

Well, I payed on the high end of market price for it because it was supposed to be in %100 mechanical condition. I think I'm going to ask for a refund and return the camera. It does have a 100 day warranty, but I bought it expecting it to be ready to go and fully functioning, not expecting to have to send it in for a repair and be without it for a number of weeks. Hopefully I won't have any trouble getting a refund. We'll see.

100 day warranty..smells like Adorama, am i Right? Their conditions grading isnt always the best, certainly not as accurate or conservative as KEH, I bought a few used hassey items from them, little things like hsades and such, looking at some of their grades, I'd only feel comfortable buying instore from them. Then again all this may be useless information if it wasnt adorama you purchased from