have on the pentax 645n, im considering this camera, i realize that

it doesnt have interchangable backs, and the flash sync is kinda

slow, but otherwise seems like a pretty nice camera for the price,

what do you guys think. Any suggestions otherwise if this camera

wouldn't be appropriate for me(im an aspiring portrait photographer,

i need to make the switch to medium format for obvious reasons, and

would like to begin putting a portfolio together) thanks a lot

again, forgive the multiple questions.

I've heard good things about the Pentax but I think you've hit on the two weaknesses you're likely to strike i.e. non-interchangeable backs (but inserts available separately) and flash sync speed. The latter is likely to be the limiting factor for portraiture work - especially when you're hand holding.

For this reason I'd be tempted to look at a Bronica ETRSi or perhaps an rb/rz67 if you don't think the weight will be an issue. Perhaps even a 'blad if you get a good example. Some good used prices on these (esp the Bron/Mamiya options) at the moment.

To your first question, the first use for higher contrast films for portraits would be for use on overcast/cloudy days. This is still subjective as maybe you want the very soft lighting produced by such conditions but I have used these films on occassions like this. It also depends what your subject is. Perhaps your particular look you need requires a bit more "punch" than the normal contrast portrait films. It's entirely on how you like to shoot I suppose :-).

As for the Pentax 645, if you don't mind the non-interchangeable backs, then its a great camera. I don't consider the Flash sync a big issue as I rarely use outdoor fill flash. Reflectors and an assistant (or convenient light stand) can work just fine, however... Pentax does make both a 75mm and a 135mm leaf shutter lens for this camera. This would allow you to shoot with your flash up to 1/500 a second.

About the backs, don't forget that if you intend to do proofing with a polaroid back, that although they do make a polaroid "insert" for this camera, it is very expensive as it uses a fiber-optic block between the shutter and the actual polaroid film plane to bring the image to the film.

The Pentax is a nice camera if your not going to get into weddings (in my

opinion). I shoot with Bronica SQA's and like the fact I can change backs from

B/W to color ect. Also you need to consider that when shooting with a flash

and a 645, your going to have to turn the camera or flash when shooting

verticals. Using a flip bracket, where you flip the camera, will keep your flash

in the upper position making your shadows go behind the subject instead of

off to the side...just something else to consider. I usually shoot lower contrast

for portraits, the typical beauty portrait but when someone wants to ramp it up

a notch with clothing ect... ramp it up on your end too! 1/60th hasn't ever been

a problem as far as syncro sun or in the studio and for me, with a leaf shutter, I

rarely shoot with a flash above 1/125th. The nice thing with shooting square,

if you have an artsy/trendy client, you can pitch a square print... for the right

client, they are far superior over the "typical" formatted print. Just something

else to ponder. I like shooting square for the obvious reasons of not being tied

down to the typical and I don't have to make the vertical/horizontal decision

until later. The camera and flash stays where I want and I can get funky with

composition if I want...