Mt. McKinley in the Fall

john_spreitzer

I will be riding the Denali shuttle system for 4 days (Aug 30 � Sept

2). I have a few questions regarding visibilty of The Mountain. What

are the chances of it being out (as viewed from Wonder Lake) in the

middle of the day ? Assuming that the chances of seeing it midday

are pretty slim, how late in the evening would I need to stay to

significantly increase my chances of seeing it (and still be able to

catch a bus back to the main entrance where I am staying)?

Any other tips regarding photography at this time period at Denali

would be welcome

John, seeing "the mountain" is like tossing dice. Last August I saw it in clear skies 4 days in a row(very lucky), nearly hurt my eyes. Two years previous in August I saw most of it for a few hours. Both times I was in the park 4 days. BTW check Denali STATE PARK for fewer people and the Kesugi Ridge.

John,

As a former park road driver, I can say that your chances of getting good weather are relatively good at this time. In fact, it would be difficult to choose four better days during the summer season. Foliage should be outstanding, right at peak.

As for shooting the mountain, morning and evening at Wonder Lake have the best light by far. Mid-day shots are pretty harsh, as the sun is right behind the mountain ( you are looking slightly west of south at it.) I was never a big fan of these shots. If you can overnight at Wonder Lake, that is the way to go, but it is probably booked already. Go to www.nps.gov and get on the Denali Link. There is a link there for shuttle and campground schedules and reservations.

Last bus back usually left Wonder at 4:30, but may be 2:30 that late in year. Overnighting is definitely the way to go, even if you have to do the backcountry.

Overall chances of visibility? 50/50.

Ross

Former Denali Naturalist.