4x5 -need a saturated color film!

peter_martucci

Hello...I want to thank everyone in advance for your help...this forum is great!! I just

purchased my first large format field outfit (I've shot extensively with them but always

rented) and I have some questions about film.

I usually shoot with Agfa Ultra 100 when I'm shooting 35, and Agfa Optima in 120,

but I understand that there is no similar film in 4x5 (saturation wise). I love medium

to high color saturation, as well as fine grain (skin tones are not a problem, cause I

don't shoot people).

In 4x5 I've shot extensively with Fuji 160 print tungsten and daylight, and find them a

little boring and stiff. I also often cross-process Astia and Velvia, but am looking for

a print film to go along with the new work I've been shooting.

Any recommendations for a high saturation color print film (sheet or quickload)...?

...by the way, I've included a quick photo of the saturated color I like. The photo is

shot with daylight film in tungsten light. Thanks again!!!!<div>006IeP-14968384.jpg.d68267e1bbca04d2f21effd574f3592b.jpg</div>

Kodak Portra VC160 is fairly saturated (and somewhat more contrasty) than other films. (VC stands for "vivid color", I think). Interestingly, Fuji NPS160 is nearly as saturated as VC160 but is not sold as a "saturated" film. It's also a little less contrasty than VC160 and does very well in "mixed" lighting, i.e. mixing tungsten or fluorescent with daylight doesn't give it too great a color cast. NPS160 also seems to have less "long-exposure color shift" than VC160, particularly in the 5-20 second range where I shoot it often. Both of the above come in Ready/Quick-loads. My favorite was Agfa Optima 100, but I'm down to my last partial box (30 sheets or so left) and I don't think it is made in 4x5 any more. (audible sigh) ... There may be others that I haven't tried.

hate to tell yo this but youll probably need togo to velvia.. the good news is it will save you a fortune in processing be course you can view the slides directly.. then to print, costs get big again probably cibachrome to get what yo want.. . sharp 4x5 print film is not used much except in rollbacks in 6x.... of course if had my head in the sand for 10 years, ill be interested in seeing what pops up here.. dave

Photographer Dan Winters did some celebrity photos with Kodak Portra 4x5 160VC and they look great. The shots can be seen at www.pdn-pix.com you will have to click on the links and put up with Flash to view them, I don't have the exact url. Also David LaChappelle also uses 120 Portra 160VC for a lot of his shots and they are very saturated.

I think slide film is loosing its advantage over negative film for reproduction purposes.

Thanks everyone...I'm off to Adorama shortly...I think I'll start with a box of the portra

160 VC, as well as some Fuji Acros for black and white (I love it in 35 so I'll try it in

4x5). I guess one box of sheet film isn't too much of an investment, so if I don't like

it, I can always get something else. Thanks again!!

There doesn't seem to be any really saturated print films in 4x5"...although I believe there were two versions of the Fuji 160, the other with more saturation.

Anyway, I suggest you consider slide film, since there are more contrasty and saturated choices available there. I've gotten good results with Kodak E64 and Fuji Provia 100F, but I don't usually like ultra-saturated (although I did get good results with Ultra 100).

I'm curious though, I didn't think Ultra 100 was very good in tungsten light...is that the effect you're looking for?

in this particular series, I was going for that effect. It's a series I shot on mental

hospitals and surrounding areas. The Ultra does a wonderful job of providing a very

eerie feel, especially for super long exposures when it starts to over saturate. For the

most part, I shoot in daylight. Here's a shot out my window (I believe with Fuji Reala).

Not a good subject for Ultra.<div>006Izg-14975384.jpg.51da4af98ac54dd9673f41a5eb2a0973.jpg</div>