s._misra

Hi.

I am searching for the smallest well-built *backpack* for the Canon

500/4 IS lens, for use on 1-2 mile long hikes. I anticipate putting a

few smaller items in the backpack as well (tele-converters, filters,

remote release, etc.) but no other stand-alone lenses. I prefer a

backpack to a long-lens case.

Thanks.

Lowe Pro do a good range of backpacks - they will almost certainly have what you are looking for. You can find their selection <a href="http://www.lowepro.com/pages/byStyle/backpack.htm> here </a>

Although I personally prefer shoulder bags to work from (I use a Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter 400AW), Lowe Pro stuff is durable, well-built and can take all sorts of abuse. The really top line stuff has a built-in rain cover as well, which is very useful! :)

Hope this helps.

If you can find one, get an Outback Scopepack. Originally it was made by an independent, then bought up by Saunders and marketed with the Domke Outpack line, then Saunders got bought out by Tiffen (which is I heard now in bankruptcy trying to reorganize). Somewhere along the way the Scopepack got discontinued, but you might be able to hunt one down. Originally conceived for carrying a spotting scope it'll hold a pro body and up to a 600/4.

I use my Domke Large lens case placed inside a *real* backpack -- I use a Dana Designs Swiftcurrent, but any pack that fits your frame comfortably will work well. The Domke lens bag provides the padding and the Dana Designs carries a load FAR more comfortably than any photo-specific backpack can. Plus there is a rear panel flap that securely stows my Gitzo 1348 perfectly. There is obviously also room for as much other gear as I want to carry.

Cheers,

If it is for standalone use, forget the dedicated camera bags, I use a UK Army backpack (35Litre), it is fully ruberised waterproofed inside, extra outerpockets etc. The advantage over camera bags is that the belt and harness systems are far superior and hence make it more comfortable to hike with

FYI I squeeze in the 500 F4.5, Canon 1N HS with motordrive, both teleconverters, flash unit, spare film, batteries and still have room for my lunch, flask etc!

If needs be my tripod can mount with compression straps as well.

To protect the lens from other bits and pieces I made a tube out of old camping mat foam stuck together with Duck Tape.

Total cost about 50% compared to dedicated camera bags and a lot more comfortable to use