501-C with older chrome lenses

richard_kamp

I recently purchased a 501-C with the 80mm C T* lens. I have an opportunity to buy a chrome 150mm Hassy lens for considerably less than a new 150mm CF T* would cost. Is there any reason (optically, compatibility-wise, etc.) not to take advantage of this savings? The chrome lens is in mint condition. Do any upgrades in the newer lense designs warrant the extra money?

I did the same thing about a month ago. While the new lens has T* coating for better color renditions, I am very pleased with my used 501C and older 150mm chrome lens. You might check out Ernst Wildi's book. He gives a great overview of the differences in the lenses and the new design. You will find the lens fully compaitble with your newer camera. Get the seller to give you a week to run some test shots.

• 2 weeks later...

I also Have a chrome 150 that I use with both my 501C and 503CW.

I am very happy with the results. I mesure it up against pictures I take with my CF lenses and I can't tell the difference in most cases.

The only problem I have had is with the un-protected sync post. Mine got broken off at a shoot when my d-flash fell off my prism. When I sent the lens in for repair I specificly acked for it to be repaired and modified with a protected post. I got both and feel better because the chances of loosing the post have been eliminated.

<p>

-W

• 6 years later...