Is Canon having problems meeting demand for the 10d body?

angelap789

I ordered mine about 2 months ago from amazon and have been informed

that it won't ship until August. It's not even guaranteed to ship

then and I will have waited 4 months! Some stores claim to have them

in stock, but I'm suspicious because reputable stores like B&H are

only taking advance orders (none in stock).

Anybody have the real scoop?

Thanks!

Angela

If you go on the Apple store, thay announce 3-5 days lead time. When I checked 2 weeks ago, they said 2-3 weeks, so the situation is improving. According to Phil Askey, Canon is producing 30,000 units of the 10D a month, and is still having a hard time keeping up with demand.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Sounds like somebody dropped the ball with my order, or they had a REALLY long waiting list ;-). Are you all paying around $1,499?

Amazon's ad says, "In stock soon. Order now to get in line. First come, first served...Hurry, order now and we'll ship this item when it becomes available."

There's a small disclaimer at the bottom stating, "Note on Availability: This item is in high demand, and supplies from the manufacturer are limited. Its availability fluctuates, and if the item is not currently in stock, we cannot guarantee that we will receive additional quantities in a timely manner."

I can still cancel my amazon order. Guess I'll have to do some more scouting around locally and online. I've had good luck with amazon in the past.

B&H is the only other mail order store I've read really good things about and I've been happy with my orders from them, but they're giving a similar story about availablility of the 10d (not in stock, accepting pre-orders only, etc.).

Thanks.

Angela

Jesper,Since £ is low vs. Euro look at UK mail order companies. Best prices are around £1250 = 1800 Euros = $2075 & no duties/VAT problems etc. Used to be cheaper to buy EOS stuff in Germany than UK but currency changes have reversed that. USA vs. Europe prices have always been a problem - its not restricted to Canon or just phot gear.

I got mine from the local Circuit City. If you go to their website, you can even check real-time availability in their stores. If they've got it, you can get it the same day. A quick check showed that two out of the three closest to me had at least one in stock.

Amazon.com's partners can be very unreliable in meeting their estimated shipping dates. Cancel that order and buy it somewhere else.

I bought it online from Circuit City and picked it up at one of the local stores ($1,499 plus CA sales tax)! Could it really have been that easy? Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.

I've got all weekend to charge batteries and read the manual, then I'm off to Mendocino for 7 days. What a beautiful setting for exploring the capabilities of this amazing camera. The trip has been planned for months and I had resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't have the camera in time. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Angela :-)

please people - shop around. many dealers have this camera in stock. only buy from a good authorized Canon dealer as a few odd number of cameras has shown some problems (e.g. focus issues). With some easy shopping around it can be had for under $1,400.