curtis_nelson

What happens to unexposed film when it gets hot? I'm asking because

I left several film holders loaded with HP5+ in my car all day and

the temperature inside got pretty high. Is the film ruined, or

should it still be usable? If the film IS bad, how would I know? I

don't think my untrained eye would be able to spot any difference

unless it was major.

Thanks

B/W film these days seems to be rather forgiving, though I can't speak for HP5. The most likely bad effect would be some overall fog , making the d-min areas (like the unexposed edge) more dense; thus lowering your overall contrast. I use Kodak film, and have not experienced any type of problem when circumstances have meant my film has been overheated. I do travel with my sheet film in a cooler. Color film, however, is another matter entirely. If you bake that, you can expect unpleasant color shifts.

I keep a camera in the car at all times, and every day in the summer it bakes at 100F or more. I've NEVER noticed any problem with the negatives (Neopan 400).

I don't know how much heat it takes to ruin film, but one summer's worth doesn't seem to do it (at least in Charleston).

The general concensus appears to be that allowing film to get hot does no harm. That's reassuring - many of us have faced the quandary of what to do with the film while traveling a car and we stop to go shopping.

However, I had an experience a couple of years ago that causes me to question this collective wisdom. I purchased a couple of bulk rolls of TMY from one of the major NYC distributers, and found that both rolls were fogged. The only thing I could attribute this to was that no one was home when the UPS guy delivered the box, and he left it by the side door - in the sun on the blacktop driveway.