RVP 100F redux: Any pro gallery?

arnabdas

Arnab,<br>

There are two problems with your question - first is that Velvia 100F has only been available for a few weeks so it's impossible for anyone to be using it regularly. I know Jack Dykinga reviewed it and was favorably impressed.<br>

Second - images posted online are not a good way to judge what they look like on film. Most anyone who knows anything about digital darkroom technique will do some color correction, contrast adjustment etc. so while it may be close, it's likely the final posted image will not be an exact match for the chrome.<br>

For what it's worth, the following image was made on Velvia 100F:<br><br>

<a href="http://scenicwild.com/sw/gallery/image.jsp?gid=1&iid=c000329&stid=8">Last Light</a>

<br><br>

And my initial review of it can be found <a href="http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0803/gt0803-1.html">here</a>

<br><br>

Guy<br>

<a href="http://scenicwild.com">Scenic Wild</a>

I talked to John Shaw back in June, around the time Provia 100F first became available. (A few days before our discussion, I went to B&H and got a few rolls, and they told me that their 100F had just arrived for the very first time the day before.) Shaw had tested some pre-production Velvia 100F and was quite happy with it. He said that if he could carry only one type of film, that would be it.

Any on-line gallery is largely meaningless as there are so many things you can do in PhotoShop or similar type software. It is not that difficult to make Astia look like Velvia in PhotoShop.

I have heard on similar posts that the new wonder film is Velvia 100 available only in Japan rather than the Velvia 100F available elsewhere. Is this true or should I file this under 'Urban legends'. Arnab, has any of this so called mythical film washed ashore in Calcutta?? ( Excuse me if you do not reside there, but I read some of your earlier posts which gave me the impression). Being stuck in the emulsion world and not crossed over to digital, this interests me a lot. Mostly shooting Wildlife in India under challenging 'Jungle light', I would give an arm for more info on a faster Velvia-like-incredible film which can also be pushed slightly.

Guy and Shun, I agree it is easy to manipulate aly slide scan to look completely different from what it is on original media. I am especially interested "shadow and highlight response" of RVP 100F, which can be judged to some extent by looking at web images. Besides, I have the impression pro photographers try to make scans as close to original slide as possible.

>>Arnab, has any of this so called mythical film washed ashore in Calcutta

Ajay, yes I do stay in Calcuta. No vendor here is aware of availability (or for that matter, existance) of Velvia 100 (non-F). Bourne and Shepherd sells only RVP 100F. M M Photographics has promised me to hunt the Japan market for Velvia 100 but they are not quite dependable (wrt promises) ...

Just got some more Velvia (original RVP ISO 50) and Veliva 100F back. This time I have images of the exact same scene shot with both. Other than one being ISO 50 and the other 100, the two are simply very similar. In other words, if you like the original RVP, you'll like the new 100F.

As far as shadow detail goes, both are high-contrast film and the shadow areas tend to be pretty dark without that much detail.

Since Velvia 100F looks so similar to the original ISO 50 Velvia, I would say their "scannability" is similar too. They are both high contrast films and shadow details is not among their best characteristics. Since Velvia has been my favorite landscape film, I may simply switch to 100F completely and take advantage of the higher speed. 100F also has the exaggerated green and I am not sure it is that good for wildlife work though.

Hi all. I was lucky enough to be one of many to test Velvia 100F for Fuji. I feel it is much finer and softer grained than Velvia 50. It is also not as contrasty in the shadows and the greens while heavily saturated are much more realisitic. Nick Rains published some side by side scans at

http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/film/velvia100f.shtml

I talked to Nick and agree with him that it can produce images that are superior to Velvia 50 when scanned. It also has no reciprocity failure out to exposure times of 2 minutes. This is way better the Velvia 50!

• 2 weeks later...

Arnab,

Here is a side by side raw scan of Velvia 100F, on the left, and Velvia 50. You should be able to see the green cast to the Aspen trunks and on the road in the Velvia 50. The originals are probably 1/3-1/2 stop under exposed. I rated the 100F at 100 and the Velvia 50 at 40.

This is a no brainer for me. One stop faster, no reciprocity problems, (I'm anxious to do some star trails, which caused the 50 to shift green), more neutral whites, and equal grain.

I also photographed Elk last week and they came out a little red. Very evident when placed next to Provia. I'll try and load it up but real busy shooting right now.