Hello I have been offered the Nikon 24-120mm VR ED G at £399.99 /

$658.90 New which I think is quite a good price, I really want it or

similar for travelling. However I want to avoid changing my F90x,

especially down grading to the F80. So don't suggest that..... I know

there will be a lot of people saying it won't be down grading because

of...etc etc, but I don't think its as well built as the F90. Anyway

what I want to know is; what is it like in comparison to the older 24-

120mm and is anyone using it on a F90x. can you put up without being

able to use the aperture ring or is it annoying?

I would not buy such a lens for use on an F90x as manual mode wouldn't work and that's a big issue for me. I wouldn't be able to use the lens effectively on a tripod because of that. Of course, VR wouldn't work either. Just get an F100 and be done with it. You'll love the precise and quiet AF on that camera (with traditional AF lenses as well as AF-S).

I think it's ok that the 24-120 is G. The lens has a variable aperture which is a nuisance on older bodies, and it has very modest max apertures (making it difficult to use for serious photography), has a wide range (meaning optical compromises). Obviously VR won't work on older bodies either. So, I don't mind - I won't buy it anyway! I dislike the effect of the VR function on short focal length shots anyway ... blurry people, sharpish surroundings ... just the opposite of the way it should be. Okay, I can see that it could be really useful for travel photography ... I know that a tripod-using travel photographer in company may very soon find himself/herself a lonely tripod bearing travel photographer.

What I have stronger feelings about is the fact that the excellent, fast, constant aperture 70-200/2.8 is G. Not only is it G, it's also bloody expensive (2800� here)

You've already heard the best reasons not to use a G lens with the F90, and so I don't need to go on there. But youy asked about prices...

The grey-market price of the 24-120 VR is $559.95 (pre-order only) while the 24-120 AF-D is $434.95 though it has been discontinued by Nikon. With shipping and (possibly) import duties, you can figure out which is best for you--your current offer or ordering from the US.