My sisters first photos

tcb.photo

A dumb post I'm sure. But many of you helped me with views on what

equipment my younger sister Lisa should have going off to college.

These are her first photos taken with her F2AS setup, just before

she left. She sent them too me and I scanned them, and felt that

you all gave me input I'd share the results. They are her first so

feel free to critque, she can only get better..;)

Thanks

Rob<div>005w84-14361584.jpg.ea8b62b05ff396dd53a836e6caa594cd.jpg</div>

Recalling my first attempts at photography with a Yashica 635, these "first" photographs are more than OK, Rob.

Perhaps need stronger composition and need to keep horizons level, but those senses will develop in no time. Encourage her to try vertical framings whenever possible -- beginners tend to shoot mostly horizontals.

Need to be bold enough to walk up closer to one's subjects whenever necessary ... just a thought

Does she use a tripod?

You know I don't think she does use a tripod, in fact she didn't "swip" mine so I know she doesn't (LOL). Another thing to add to the list. She's going to cost me a bundle, maybe I hould have just got her the F100...:).

I think, or wonder, if the exposure or lack of it in the shadows, might be due to the metering system of the F2as, and her getting use to it. For a new photographer, the use of centerweighted can always be difficult when not taking readings in the shadows and trying to average them. I think when she begins to do the developing herself, she might be able to lighten or dodge those areas a tad.

I forgot to mention that she used a 55mm f/1.2 lens, mine of course. and from the photo I'd say it looks like f8. I told her that with that lens it's best to use F/2.8 to f/8. I think with a telephoto, and moving closer, the photo might have been a little more interesting, especially the first one with the kids fishing off the docks. What do you guys think? Maybe a 135mm? Any thoughts?

But at least it wasn't one of the thousands of photos shes taken of her friends (LOL). With practice she can only get better.

Thanks

Rob

"I think, or wonder, if the exposure or lack of it in the shadows, might be due to the

metering system of the F2as, and her getting use to it"

Of course that's a possibility, but there was a lot going on in that photo, and I doubt

that she was even thinking about it. Even if she was, the processor probably wasn't,

and was not paying attention to what was being printed. A little dodging might make

a

whale of a diffrence. At least she's interested, and practice is the answer. I have a load

of pics worse than those that she took. Hell, who doesn't? :o)

Rob, what about getting her an E screen for Christmas? Until I got mine, I almost always had tilted water, horizons and buildings. It's too easy to concentrate on the subject and forget the foreground and background. With those grid lines, it becomes obvious when something is tilted. I'm sure she'll get better as she gets to know her equipment better.

An E screen couldn't hurt that's for sure. I'm sure eBay must have one, they can't be that expensive. A tripod also can't hurt. I wonder if one of the silk tripods would work ok? my friend has one on sale for around $30.00. Looks nice, but I've never used one. I'll try and get her those now, so she correct her photos.

I also agree with Shun, a tele of some kind can only make things easier, especially for Christmas. But then which one. I sort of don't want to spend the money on the 85mm f/1.4 or 135mm f/2. Not that she isn't worth it, but they are still costly and in school could easily get stolen. the dilemma is, I also don't want to get her garbage either. I thought about the 180mm, but felt it might be too ackward for her, initially, with the F2as. it's a heavy enough camera as it is. Although, she has a bag to carry all of the stuff, she stole my Domke! Or as she put it, borrowed it since I wasn't using it (that and my 55mm) At the Time

Anyone use the 85mm f/2 or 135 f/2.8? I was wondering if they are decent lens? Someone wrote me and said the Tamron 90mm Macro would be a good lens also? But I've never used it and have no idea about it.

I talked to her last night and she really like her class. Although they are really only learning the basics and darkroom work right now. Her Professor also told her to loose the "Hippie" strap, and get something that will better support the camera and prevent it from slipping off her shoulder (LOL). He told her it's a legendary Camera and she should make sure nothing happens to it. Ahh.... A Nikon man. I like him already.

Again, all input is welcome and really appreciated. Lens opinions are also helpful, and appreciated

Rob

Which lens were these images shot with, 50mm? Perhaps something like a 105mm or 75-150 zoom would be good for her. Lisa needs to learn about the basics of composition so that she doesn't place the main subjects dead center in the frames. Moreover, for outdoor shots, shooting early in the moring or late in the afternoon when the angle of the sun is low also helps.

I'm a little late to the party, but I like the first photo she did better than the second. Nothing really wrong with the second, but I might say it's not overly interesting. I might guess that is exactly what Shun was talking about with regards to not centering the subject.

There is alot of action in the first one. Moving in closer might have improved it. Eliminating some of the forground and the left side of the photo. All in all a nice little picture. Personnally I don't care about he shadows in background mountains and trees. I don't see them really adding to the photo, it isn't really a landscape photo so the background is really not important.

I never used the 55mm lens, but her first photos with it are better than I might have imagined, based the lens poor reputation.

As far a telephoto lens, I think the 85mm f/2 is a right nice lens. If she can use Zoom lens, I don't know if students can.But if they can then Shun's idea might be a better way, i don't really know

Just a fellow f2 users view

When she does more share them if you would. I always like to see a young photographers work.

Avery

I'm sorry. But put it down to old age. I think Shun's remarks on lighting are very important. Nothing can ruin a photo like bad lighting. But here we don't know if the subjects were available in the early morning or late afternoon. So it might be a matter of using what was available, or using a flash for softning. A fill flash on a F2 might be tricky for her and she'd have to get a whole heck of alot closer.

An excellent point though

Avery

Rob

She did a decent job on the first photo. It's always easy to take good photos with a camera like the F100 - it does all the work for you. A F2as, that takes a little knowledge and time to master.

I agree with those who said she should move closer. It would make it better since the main subject is the kids fishing off the dock. Closer and it would have been a good shot. As for the background, that's really nit picking. Since the mountains aren't relevant, it doesn't matter if there are areas that aren't well light or even in focus. I'd say she is a little "shy" about taking photos of people she doesn't know. That's why she is so far away from her main subject. The other photo didn't do anything for me. In my opinion she was probably just using up the remaining film. You can tell she didn't put as much thought into it. - No offense meant, I don't want to get into trouble again

As for a lens, I would get her a 80-200 zoom of some type, and a monopod. Faster the better, wasn't there once a f/4 version? Maybe a third party maker or an older Nikon version with the Tripod pod collar. Pricey, but it will really help her, especially if she is a little "timid", about approaching unknown people.

Wish her our best

Josh - trying to be nice

" It would make it better since the main subject is the kids fishing off the dock."

That's an assumption that we can't make. The main subject in her mind may very well

have been the entire scene and how it related to each aspect.

"I agree with those who said she should move closer."

That's what an experienced person would do, make the scene less busy with what

may be distractions to her main subject. Maybe it was a landscape shot, and the

people were incidental.

I partially agree about the lack of detail in the background shadows as not being too

big of a deal. But, if they are in focus, then they should have detail. If they aren't in

focus, then it doesn't matter. Do I expect perfection from her? No, so these little

things need to be pointed out. I'm willing to bet that she is not familiar with DOF yet,

but there's no better time to start to learn.

Rob

I think Lisa did a nice job with her F2. I too would have liked her to move closer, I find myself yearning to see more of the children on the docks. But then that just me.

But I do have a question.

Some of the memebers talked about the background trees, and a "dark shadowie" area. When I looked at the first photo, I didn't really see why that would matter since it doesn't seem to be important to the photo's main subject. So my question, from a learning point of view, is since the background doesn't matter why would we care? Or are you guys saying that if she had been closer and set the lens at a ffaster f-stop to blur out the whole background it wouldn't have been better?

I don't want to seem stupid, but I just want to understand

Thanks

Abbie