Light Leaks?

EricM

This is perhaps a little late, but tomorrow is the big camera swap

meet here, and I finally can get some film holders for my LF camera.

Now, i hope don't offend anyone, or raise too may eye brows, but

I've forgotten what kind of camera it is, it was given to me. The

lens is a Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar, is this any good of a lens?

And hopefully there will be some patience left in everyone as I

fumble anxiously with all the swings and tilts. Anyway, getting to

my original question, is there anything that i have to worry about

when I�m looking for used film holders tomorrow? Light leaks?

Compatibility? I'm really excited, it's the last thing that I need

to begin LF, as i have a 4x5 Bessler carrier and a plastic carrier

for my scanner. Thanks in advance, Eric

Eric, there is no way to totally test the holders in the field. I would look for holders that look brand new, not used ones, and cross your fingers. The going rate for a used 4x5 holder around here is about $10 (us) so keep that in mind and dont spend more money that you can afford to throw away, since there is no telling the true condition until you test them out. By the way, test them out with 4x5 paper, you can load it under safelight, and test it easier and cheaper than with film.

Brian

The Symmar is a nice lens. Does it have two sets of f-stop numbers on the face? IF it does it is a convertable and can be used at two different focal lengths. About the holders, the above advice is good but even if you do get stuck with a bad holder the most common leak is just bad tape on the "door" that flips down when the slide is partially pulled back. And even if it is un usable after repair they make cool picture frames. No worries, good luck.

Hey thanks guys! That paper hint is very useful!

John, yes it has two numbers, and from what i can tell, it is a 180mm and a 315mm. Any good? What is it worth? I'm just new at LF, the biggest neg i've ever worked is from my MF, I'm looking forward to it.

Eric,

As was mentioned, there is no way to test holders in the field. You didn't say what format your camera is, so beware: not all 5x7s are 5x7s---the metric equivalent takes a slightly different cut sized film though the outside dimensions of the holders are the same. Some Graflex cameras take holders with locking grooves, not the more common ridges---they won't interchange.

There are also older wood film holders(usually cheaper) and newer plastic ones(usually more costly) IMHO, I'd take a new looking wooden holder over a thrashed out looking plastic holder.

If you do get wood, carefully inspect the groove at the flap end where the dark slide fit in. The wood there is very thin and won't tolerate any "enthusiasm" without cracking. If cracked, reject it unless you want it for parts and its really really cheap(like a buck!)

Know what BandH or Adorama sells their new holders for. Those are guaranteed against leakage. Unless the seller at the swap meet can offer you a guarantee, don't pay more the 1/3rd of new, unless you luck out and find some new old stock still in the original box---that would be a pretty safe bet and would be worth much more, but not as much as new ones from BandH or Adorama.

As far as manufacturers go, Toyos and Linhofs seem to have the best reputations, Tiltall the worse. Fidelity and Liscos are available in both wood and plastic, and look like they came out of the same factory. Riteways too, are plastic. Eastman Kodak(made by Graflex) and Agfa Anscos are wood. Pay your money and take your chances!

The most common place for a holder to leak is the light trap where the dark slide enters the holder. A difficult fix, if a fix is even possible. With most holders I wouldn't even try except for the 8x10 Kodaks that have a light trap cover that can be unscrewed and taken off.

Pieces of tape that I write the name of the film on and stick to the holder tend to come off. I prefer to have different makes, or both wood and plastics. I load one type of film in one make/material and another tpe film in a different type holder. Makes things simple---so if you end up buying two Anscos and three Riteways don't worry to much---it'll work out better when you start experimenting with different emulsions.

If you do get a "stinker" or two, save it for parts. Never buy a holder without good darkslides that are from the same manufacturer as the holder(unless its for parts) You'll often find Kodaks with Agfa dark slides or vice-versa.

Don't buy holders with gaffer's tape where it shouldn't be.

Like buying a used car---one that looks well taken care of probably was(though it might not be) and one that looks like a piece a junk probably is(though it might not be)

Good Luck!

Eric,

As John says your Symmar convertible is a fine lens though it is not the newest version. Here is the tech data from Schneider's website :

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/symmar/data/5,6-180mm.html

I have the 150mm and the 210mm versions of this lens and they both work very well. The main drawback to them is age. The shutter might well need a CLA if it has not been used much and sometimes the internal lens surfaces can get dirty reducing contrast. The longer focal length works quite well considering only 3 elements are being used but in this mode the lens will not give you the ultimate in quality.

Have a look at ebay for current prices on your Symmar convertible (not Symmar-s or Apo Symmar which are newer).

First off, thank you everyone, I really appreciate the effort and insight. But I had a shock today; I can't believe how in demand film holders are! Now I�ve been to many swap meets, and this particular show is quite big, and in the past, film holders were always something that you always seemed to be tripping over while tucked away under a sellers table. I mean, they used to be as common as processing trays and stained tongs. But geez, a flock of students came in and nearly cleared the place out. I was successful in obtaining six holders, three wood "Fotac"'s, a wood Graphic, and two plastic "Riteway"'s. All six for $50 Canadian, ($33 USD). I had no choice, one seller, one price. I can't wait. I feel like grade seven all over again when I bought my first Ricoh SLR with half a years paper route money. Thanks again everyone!

Colin, thank you for posting the link. I'm going to go check it out because I apparently have a really strange Schneider that the previous owner of my Bessler applied to a lens board. I'm going to go did it out of its wrapper.

There were several different models and sizes of Burke and James cameras. Burke and James actually didn't manufacture anything themselves, that was the house brand of the Chicago camera store by that name that sold them. I don't know who actually made them, perhaps several different manufactuers over the decades of their existence. There were several different models including a field camera as well as a studio portrait camera. I've never owned one but the main complaint I read about is loose parts, things not tightening down properly. However, if yours is in good condition it should be fine.