wrong?

Recommendations for batteries? Any experiences with rechargeable

batteries? The Speedlite brochure indicates that AA alkaline`s

produce most flahes and also indicates that you need the "right" LI

or NIMh batteries in case you need them but they don`t specify which

ones (contacts not standardized?)

Thanks for your feedback and advise,

Wim

Use rechargables, such as 1850mA or 2000mA rated "stardard" NiMh AA cells. They provide about 30-60% more flashes and MUCH FASTER recycling time. Many manufacturers now have one hour chargers, and NiMh cells can be charged about 500-1000 times. They are best bang for the bucks. I use Rayovac and Energizer NiMh AA's with a very good success for last couple of years. Try Target or Walmart and locate AA NiMh rechargable batteries, they are in "standard" size and like all rechargable AA, rated at 1.2V.

In addition to the higher power of NiMH batteries suc as 1800-2200 mA's is that they do not exhibit voltage drop until the very end of their charge whereas alkalines voltages start dropping on first use. I believe this explanes faster recycle times with NiMH batteries.

Thanks. After reading your advise I immediately went to Walmart and bought the Duracell rechargeable NiMH (1800mAh) batteries + 1 hour charger. The charger has a 240 V input as well which is a nice feature for my regular travel outside US. Wim

The advice about switching to recycleables is sound, but for your AA's to fade after 30 shots in P mode might indicate a flash problem or outdated batteries.

I have two 550EX's, and even in manual mode both would last far longer with acceptable recycle times than you describe.

Regardless of the batteries you use, be sure to keep at least one extra, freshly charged set with you. I always have a apare 10D battery and 4 AAs for my 420EX speedlite packed with my gear.

I'm sold on NiMH myself, and recently bought a new, portable Energizer charger specifically to carry in my laptop bag: $20 at Target, including 4 batteries. (I only carry camera, lenses, batteries, CF cards and blower brush in my camera bag, to keep weight and size down. My laptop bag in my "portable digital darkroom;" in addition to my notebook PC, it's where I store/carry all my power adapters/chargers, data cables, card readers, lens cleaners, etc. The bag has built-in wheels and an extending handle.)<div>005er5-13886984.jpg.1c61162bc7d81eac843bcd1c8a4511bb.jpg</div>

As said earlier, taking 1 minute to recycle after 30 flashes seems very weird. I bought a 550EX a couple of weeks ago to replace my 420 EX as my main flash and, after 4 rolls (36 exposures per roll) worth of shooting with it (all shots with the flash), it is still recycling within one or two seconds using the same first set of AA alkaline batteries I loaded. The instruction manual states the number of exposures will be fewer with rechargeables, so if your flash really doesn't do better than 30 shots with alkalines you'll be worse off using rechargeables. Something doesn't sound right with your flash unless you used dead or outdated batteries.

I have the 550-EX Speedlite as well, and use it with Energizer rechargeable Ni-mh's. Before I was to use it at a party this weekend, I tried to drain the batteries. Over 300 flashes (full power), and I finally gave up. Well, actually, my wife threatened bodily injury, and that was reason enough to quit.

I see some members have suggested getting the Energizer rechargeables (charger plus 4 AA batteries) at Target or Wal-Mart for $20. If you're a mamber of Sam's Club, they have the same charger plus 8 batteries for the same price. This way, you'l always have a spare set in your bag ready to go at any time.