Waterproof Backpack for pentax 67

manuel_toledo

Hello,

I would like to get a backpack to carry a Pentax 67 + three lenses + a

35mm and 2 lenses + miscelaneous. Ideally it would be waterproof,

light, strong and inexpensive, and will allow attaching a heavy tripod...

Any suggestions? What's the best I can get for less than, let's say $250?

Thanks,

Manuel

Well, if you mean "water resistant" then you have lots of choices from Lowepro and other manufacturers, such as the Mini Trekker and Nature Trekker. However, if you really mean "water proof", as in submersible, then the Lowepro DryZone is the only choice of which I am aware.

You need a pretty big pack and good leg muscles! Lowepro's or equivalent are great and not too heavy in themselves, and a backpack is probably the only ergonomic solution for you. But waterPROOFing is the hard bit, if that is what you want, as Bruce said.

The Phototrekker that I have has good overhang above the zips, so there is little chance of rain getting in. They are designed that way. I think this will take care of virtually all rain, but not floating down a river??

Elasticised covers are commercially available for larger overnight backpacks, if there is still concern about rain, but I am not sure for smaller ones such as a Phototrekker. Can be made from nylon and elastic, though, but I have never felt the need. I think they are more relevant for canvas packs.

I use waterproof bags with fold down sealing for carrying gear in a kayak or boat (putting the camera case in the bag), but they are not that suitable for a side opening pack without adaptation.

Ortlieb (www.ortlieb.com) do a range of fully waterproof

backpacks. I haven't used them myself, so I don't know how

comfortable the harness system will be with that much weight

loaded up, but their materials and construction are top quality.

They tend to be sold in cycling and watersports shops rather

than hiking or photography outlets.