My Latest.....errr.... "masterpiece" - Please critique

abbie_benson

Contrast is very high between the white pillers on the right and the shadow areas. The entire image seems to be tilted, perhaps exaggerated by the converging pillers.

I would shoot this picture in an overcast day or at least when the sun is not so intense. What is the subject anyway?

As Shun said, that's a lot of contrast. To open the shadows would be to overexpose

the highlights. So, diffused light, ala cloud, cover is your friend here. Either that, or

wait for the light to change to a softer tone, as in closer to sunset. You might try to

meter the shadows, recompose, and see the difference in exposure. Good equipment

is of course helpful, but good light is essential. :o)

The 24mm lens is a very fine optic, but it needs to be used with great care. The key thing is to keep the camera back perpendicular to the ground. With just the slightest tilt, the vertical things in the scene will converge in a most un-natural way. Study the frame before pressing the shutter release. If those columns are leaning inward, then the camera is not being held level. It is an old truth, but a good one? a tripod can improve your photography. If you had mounted the camera to a tripod and framed the scene in a more considered way, then you might have played around a bit before settling on this composition.<P>

Besides just keeping the camera level, you need something to draw the eye into the scene. This can be either a leading line or some related foreground object. This is when you can take advantage of the 24mm?s great depth of field potential. Learn to use those DOF marks and set the aperture to help the scene. In many 24mm shots, the primary subject can be small in scale, but the other parts of the scene should support the subject.<P>

Here are just a few 24mm shots (also made with an F3) where I worked to keep the verticals true, and also where I used foregrounds to draw the viewer into the scene, exploiting the DOF of this wide-angle.<P><a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1163139"> 1 </a>, <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1163147"> 2 </a>, <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1163152"> 3 </a>

I'm not sure what you were trying to capture. I look at the photo and wish I could see more of it. The lighting is very harsh, creating extreme unflattering contrast. the angle of the lens also doesn't help. I think Albert Smith explained it perfectly, and his examples are outstanding.

It's a good try, just try it again, using the ideas others gave you on lighting (shoot in early morning or late afternoon), and Albert's advice regarding keeping the lens perpidicular to the ground. Also backup a few paces and let us see more of the building, with a focal point to the photo.

Forgive me, but as for the remarks left by Frank Uhlig and ci p, I believe they are out of line. When someone asks for some help, give constructive advice so they can learn how to improve their work. Don't just insult it. Man that's rude and childish in my opinion. I don't think anyone here is another "Ansel Adams". So try and be helpful, rather than a rude AH. There are enough of them on this forum I think.