LF colleagues, please beware of any offerings from Shawn Cain of

Washington state, working eBay as "iwantstuff88." I was defrauded of

$134 by this thief. He has a large number of negative feedbacks in

the last few months, apparently because of repeated defrauding of

bidders. He cashed my postal MO; he screens telephone calls with his

answering machine, does not return calls and does not respond to

email. An email address which he uses is "stuffhunter50@hotmail.com."

Beware, and spread the word. Thank you.

It's so unfortunate that there's loosers like this guy on ebay. Frankly, Ebay's only interested in one thing - $$$ -! I once complained repeatedly to Ebay about a misleading (photo equip.) illegal seller, and they finally suspended his priveleges,...oh, for a couple of weeks.

Peter, I don't know if this was your experience, but this was early-on in my Ebaying days, and if I'd only scrutinized his multiple negative feedbacks, and smelled the coffee, I would never have made the purchase.

Better luck next time.

Dear helpful colleagues--

I'm re-joining this discussion to say that I SHOULD have checked the seller's feedback, but I was an eBay newbie, and naive. Naive just two months ago; only when things weren't going right did I check into the seller.

I seem to have obtained several degrees from the School of Hard Knocks (with no aid or scholarships) in life; this lesson is relatively cheap compared to others. I hope this discussion is enlightening to LFers beginning to use eBay

Hi Peter,

<p>

Sorry to hear about your hard lesson on ebay... it's too bad that ebay doesn't come

down harder on "people" who rip others off. There's a lot of those scoundrels out

there.

<p>

There are some good, reputable sellers out there too. I make it a point to review their

feedback on every transaction I'm thinking about entering into. But, even when there

are negative feedbacks in their history doesn't make them necessarily a bad risk to do

business with. I look at the specific comments to see if there's a trend or pattern. For

example, there are some sellers out there who respond to comments left about them

with same/similar rebuttal comments. The general one is, "it's ALWAYS about the

other person causing the problem (ie: communications, item is lost in the mail, or

that sort of redderick).... and NEVER about them (they never accept ANY

responsibility)!"

<p>

Secondly, you should also look at the number of transactions the seller/buyer has

been involved in. I tread "very carefully" with sellers with no/very limited numbers of

transactions under their belt. It's far too easy to go onto ebay with no "hard"

merchandise to sell and list the "item" for sale anyway. Then, when a bidder wins and

sends in their payment... the seller disappears, or there's a ton of games played out

until you finally cut your losses! There goes your money and you receive nothing in

return!

<p>

Anyway, in spite of having to jump the numerous "hurdles" at ebay...it's well worth

doing, just as a matter of principle.

<p>

Good luck in recovering your money.

<p>

Cheers

Although ignorance is no defense as the lawyers say, I sympathyze with you, so here is what I did in a similar case.

I contacted the USPS and filed a mail fraud report, you can do so right on their web site. Mail fraud is a federal crime and the postal inspectors are not light weights, they will take it seriously.

I then went and looked for the state goverment and filed a fraud complaint with the district attourney where the person receiving the payment lived.

I dont recall the web site, but a google search will probably give you the site for the FBI internet fraud. Go there and file another report.

ALthough less usefull than the actions above, go the the BBB of the state here the guy lives and file another report.

Last, go back to E bay and make a hard copy of the auction ad, they will ask for this in addition to your copy of the MO to be able to refund your money.

All of this might take you about an hour and a half on the computer but it might get your money back. In my case it did, apparently the guy got scared and refunded my money.