When to shoot the mill at Crystal Colorado ?

jim_thompson1

I plan on being in Colorado the week of Sept 15th, and plan on

shooting the mill at Crystal. Does anyone know if that is an

afternoon or morning shot ? I would like to combine it with a early

morning spent at Maroon Bells if at all possible ? And does anyone

know a place to stay close to both of them ? Thank you in advance for

your input.

Jim, are you familiar with the "road" to Crystal? Do you have a 4WD vehicle? It is easier to get to Crystal if you come from the town of Marble on FR 314. The road from the Maroon Bells area is difficult indeed. If you are not familiar with the road, then look it up on the Internet. It is a very unforgiving trail from the Maroon Bells area. Sept 15 will, most likely, be early for fall color in Crystal, if that is what you are looking for.

Jim, I agree with the others that the 15th will most likely be a bit early, but that's OK, it's still a great place. I was there last year on the 15th (my 1st and so far only time there) and it was definitely early, just a few little spots of yellow. As popular as the spot is, I had it all to myself from about 4pm on. Nice!

I did the same thing you are talking about, early AM at Maroon Bells, then through Basalt, Carbondale, and down Hwy 133. to the Marble turnoff. Shouldn�t be a problem, except for wanting to stop to look at all great scenery J

From my little experience there, I'd say it's a sunset shot. The above image was shot at 4:30pm. I waited for the sky to get colorful at sunset, but it never happened.

The road from Marble is definitely 4WD, high clearance at the least, and a bit narrow in spots, but I really had no problem in my Toyota truck. As far as places to stay, I�ve always camped in the back of my truck in that general area. If you are looking for hotels, Carbondale would be the closest.

Best of luck, and please keep us informed on what the colors are like. I�m headed that way at the end of the month. Take care!

Brent

www.doerzmanphoto.com

The state forester is quoted in the Denver Post as saying the leaves will probably start peaking after the 20th. Of course that could be in some areas and not others. He also said the colors could go longer this year.

I just got back from Rocky Mtn. NP. The Aspen trees near Hidden Valley off Trail Ridge Road are just starting to show some good color at the ends of the branches. There was a hard frost last night so that may accelerate the process.

Bill