35 mm & 120 mm Reels for 8x10 Unicolor drum

marios_nikitas1

After many months of preparation and study of Photo.net forums, I

have finally developed my first 4x5 B&W films and I am very pleased

with the first results. I thank all the friends that contributed to

this success with their responses and advice.

Now, I am trying to buy reels for 35 & 120 format film development in

my 8x10 Drum, but there have been non around available for a long

time.

My questions are:

1. What are the differences between the 35/120 Unidrum reels and the

respective reels that are used in a Patterson (for example) tank ?

2. Can a Patterson reel be modified to work in the 8x10 Unicolor drum

placed on its motor base?

Marios, What kind of drums do you have? Sheet film is developed in PAPER drums(originally used for develping color prints---they are the ones with the ridges) The film reels were designed to fit inside the FILM drums(with smooth insides)...or at least I think thats the way it works. The film reels(and drums) do show up on ebay, so be patient. FWIW I like the Patterson tanks for developing 120 though I've never tried putting one on my unicolor base. As I write this, I am looking at reels from both my Patterson tank and my Unicolor tank. They look and work darn near identical except my unicolors don't seem to adjust between 35 and 120, nor do they stack like the Pattersons, or accept the Patterson ajitation thingy, though IMHO, the unicolor tank seems better suited to inversion. Both reels automatically load with a ratcheting action, however. Good Luck!

....and my two 35mm Unicolor reels will fit inside the Patterson tank, but the top of the patterson tank won't fit on top of the unicolor reels due to the funnel shape of the Patterson top piece. I doubt if cutting off the spout give you the needed room, nor IMHO,would it continue to function as a light trap for adding chemicals to the tank in daylight, but if you've got one to sacrifice I suppose you could have at it with a Dremel tool just to see what you'd get, but like the cowboy who sold a blind horse once said:"He don't look so good."----------Cheers

Hi John,

Thank you for the quick response.

I have the 8x10 Paper drum. Can you please tell me, when you insert a film in a Patterson reel and then insert this reel in the Unicolor 8x10 drum, if you use 500ml solution, will the liquid cover all the film area, after the drum is placed on the motor base? For both 35 and 120 reels ?

Marios,

You will not be able to use film reels in a paper drum properly. You will need to use the film drum which has a moveable "end" plug and is smooth on the inside. The end plug can be adjusted to permit different amount of reels inside the drum. (up to six 135 format...I think)

The reels for the unicolor drums have a solid inside core that joins each reel so that when you pour in the developer it goes right to the bottom of the drum and begins the fill process from the bottom up. The reels fit perfectly into a film drum without any slop or movement.

I can give you an estimate on the amount of developer needed per reel (but this is only an estimate because I am not at home and do not have the spec sheet with me. I think it is 210 ml for the first reel and then something like 90 ml for each additional reel.

Watch for the drums on Ebay as they come up often and cheap. Also call some of the bigger camera stores that carry used eqipment as these drums are fairly readily available used.

Regards,

Marios,

Now that you�ve tried Large Format � you�ll think that 35mm are toys for wimps. Seriously though, I develop film in the same manner as you. As my photo instructor would say (and often too), �Keep It Simple, Stupid.� (The K.I.S.S. principle). Personally, I follow the McDonald�s approach � Fast, Cheap and Easy.

Here�s my suggestions:

1.Use the Unicolor base for all three formats. (I have 2 � just in case one fails � but it�s been going for fifteen years). �CHEAP�

2. Use the Unicolor *PAPER* drum for 4 x 5 FILM only. �EASY�

3. Use Patterson reels and tanks for 35mm and 120/220 film. All you need is a tank that is long enough to straddle the two rollers on the Unicolor base unit. The smallest �Patterson System 4� tank that will work for me is 8 ½� from it�s base to the top of the cap. �FAST�

4. Use the volume of developer in the Patterson tanks as recommended on the bottom of the tank. No less. �K.I.S.S.�

Don't bother with modifications

Your mileage may differ. Good luck.

-S.